Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys and girls, now, i was wondering if anyone does stone chip protection film either clear or coloured for the r171 slk.
on my last car,which had a very blunt nose, it was a magnet for any low flying stones within a 3 mile radius, hence the need for this item.... there is a guy on my old forum who can produce these items but needs the templates. he used quite a thin film which was u.v treated so it didnt take on the usual yellow tint..
at the moment i dont have any stone chips on my recent purchase, and i'd like to keep it that way.
anyone out there know of such things?

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
many places on line
it is a bear to do by oneself :D not that you are not capable

google clearbra for dealers (maybe worldwide dealers available)

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
a lot of tint places do them now also

·
Founding Member 2006
109,002 Posts
your datacard should say it :D

772 AMG STYLING PACKAGE-FRONT SPOILER, SIDE SKIRT

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Best thing since sliced bread, absolutely worth the money. Make sure you get the entire face done, at least 12" on top of the hood, spoiler etc, mirrors. You may want to consider getting the sills done also as they tend to get scuffed getting in and out of the car. Guy did a great job for me at the dealer using 3M.

·
Registered 2015 SLK 55 AMG
128 Posts
Agree with Chelzee. I had mine done with XPEL Ultimate, which has a clear coat layer that looks great. Most of the time, you can't even tell it is wrapped, unless the edges are visible (as on my rear quarter panel to protect from gravel).

I wrapped my whole front half - hood, bumper, front quarter panels, A pillars, side mirrors - and door edges, back trunk lip and rear quarter panels behind the tires.

You can wax and polish it and the only suggestions I have is to not clay bar it, and be careful about polish. I wax it and seal it with a special wrap sealant. I'm told you should replace every 5 years, but I'm not there yet, so can't really comment on that.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Agree with Chelzee. I had mine done with XPEL Ultimate, which has a clear coat layer that looks great. Most of the time, you can't even tell it is wrapped, unless the edges are visible (as on my rear quarter panel to protect from gravel).

I wrapped my whole front half - hood, bumper, front quarter panels, A pillars, side mirrors - and door edges, back trunk lip and rear quarter panels behind the tires.

You can wax and polish it and the only suggestions I have is to not clay bar it, and be careful about polish. I wax it and seal it with a special wrap sealant. I'm told you should replace every 5 years, but I'm not there yet, so can't really comment on that.
How about some pics of that beautiful car of yours? Haven't really seen a Carbon Edition close up.

·
128 Posts
Carbon Look Edition

Chelzee,
I would tell you that Carbon Look Edition is somewhat meaningless on a black car. The front air dam, side vents, etc. in "carbon" on a black car don't show up. The exterior mods look much better on a white car IMO. However, I really like the interior mods, such as the Designo seats, carbon trim, etc. I have pics in my SLKWorld garage, but here are a couple.

Attachments

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Chelzee,
I would tell you that Carbon Look Edition is somewhat meaningless on a black car. The front air dam, side vents, etc. in "carbon" on a black car don't show up. The exterior mods look much better on a white car IMO. However, I really like the interior mods, such as the Designo seats, carbon trim, etc. I have pics in my SLKWorld garage, but here are a couple.
As you pointed out its hard to pick out the carbon accents on the black. The seats look cool. Do you have the AMG Handling package? I didn't see it listed on your 'package' list. Where do you have the 'film' on your car, always important on a black as stone chips show up everywhere, especially on the front grill and spoiler.

·
128 Posts
I do not have the handling package - about the only option I don't have. And I've got almost the entire front half of the car wrapped, including the A pillars. Not much wrapped beyond that, except door edges, trunk lip and the areas right behind the rear wheels. I don't really like those, because they are the only places that can be seen, since it isn't edge to edge coverage. But I really wanted some protection there when I throw up debris from spinning tires . . . which seems to happen a lot.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK32 AMG
5,641 Posts
at least the invisible mask link has prices.....
would mine be the sport package as it has the optional amg front bumper??
Be careful. I bought the invisible mask and put off putting it on. Read the reviews and realized I may have a big problem becuase the area had been repainted. Threw it away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.