Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
* Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG
254 Posts
Interesting
I first came across K&N with my Crossfire, I did notice a seat of the pants increase in performance and an increase in mpg of 2+.
My ml350 has been changed to K&N recently
But my slk55 amg has the newly installed Needswings dcai, cone filters and I don't know maker

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting
I first came across K&N with my Crossfire, I did notice a seat of the pants increase in performance and an increase in mpg of 2+.
My ml350 has been changed to K&N recently
But my slk55 amg has the newly installed Needswings dcai, cone filters and I don't know maker
Been using the same K&N Filter for 9 years now never had an issue
occasionally get’s a compressed air blow out .
saved me a few quid on air filters .

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,834 Posts
Terminal the Video is about. “ Do Performance Air Filters Actually Work “ ?

Filtration Performance test would be another Video. 😎😎
I would say 'working' would be defined as assisting performance, while also adequately filtering the intake air. If filtering performance is not a high priority, just do what my dad used to do - puncture the old dirty filter many times with a knitting needle. Instant airflow and go-faster intake roar....But then his Morris 8 E-series didn't have Alusil coated bores (and 11:1 compression ratio) which don't appreciate being abraded by fine particulates. :giggle:

·
* Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,325 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've posted this previously:

Very much a case of, "You pays your money, you makes your choice'.

As far as I can see K&N filters are fine provided they are serviced regularly and correctly as @Delucas clearly does. They are certainly not a 'fit and forget' option.

·
* Registered 2009 SLK200
5,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say 'working' would be defined as assisting performance, while also adequately filtering the intake air. If filtering performance is not a high priority, just do what my dad used to do - puncture the old dirty filter many times with a knitting needle. Instant airflow and go-faster intake roar....But then his Morris 8 E-series didn't have Alusil coated bores (and 11:1 compression ratio) which don't appreciate being abraded by fine particulates. :giggle:
The K&N filters filter out better than some ive seen and id say before ( IF ) my bores go i got more chance of a headgasket going , a valve going , engine issues due to low quality engine oil , timing chain jumping a tooth ….
i could go on .
ill Report back in another 9 years on Filtration 😎😎

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG/2006 Kleemann 55K S8
1,164 Posts
Here is a good one about filter performance.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,834 Posts
^ Hahaha K&N......I have plenty of knitting needles available for the cheap K&N experience. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts