Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
2020-10--03
Added to todo list:
Remove cigarette lighter power connector and replace with XT60. This will make removing the middle console easier once I have it wired up with the other side of the XT60.
Fish out the reversing line from the new stereo as I think I'm going to use this.
Run some wires under the dash on both side just in case I end up putting some lighting there.
Run the power from the XT60 into the console and wire up chocky block to feed switches.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
2020-10-03
I painted my new fascia black so that when I put the carbon wrap on it, any mistakes I make won't be so obvious. Then I put it in the car to try it out. And I like it. I like it so much I might just leave it black and not wrap it. I'll just give it another coat of black then clear coat it and be done with it.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
2020-10-04
Did a second coat of black on the new fascia then a matte clear coat, with the intention of keeping as is for now. And when the time comes I can simply put the wrap on it. And then I can fix the f ups I did on the air vent.
Drilled a hole to mount my cell phone holder then realised that the fascia won't hold the weight of my cell phone unless I find a way to fix it in place.
So then I started work on the switch plate and realised that might be the better place for the cell phone holder. So at this stage that's where it's going to go. Cut out a template for the switch holes which I transferred to the new switch plate and started cutting out.
Got fed up with the crack in the dash and decided it was never going to sit right, so glued it in place. That biatch ain't never coming out now ;)
Also decided to fit the reversing camera my landlord gave me so after some angst after snapping one of the (fragile) locating tabs on one of the number plate lights I managed to get that installed fairly easily. I routed the power for it up and through one of the number plate light holes hence the broken locating tab. Then I routed the cable along the same path as the loom, then cable-tied it in place. Still got to figure out how to power it, presumably off the actual reversing light. But I need to determine which wire that is.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yes I know my license plate is not centred. The holes in the plate don't match the holes in the lid. One day I'll fix that.
Also, yes, I cable-tied the camera on. Deal with it ;)

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
2020-10-05
After fitting the camera and wireless sender yesterday I got talking to my landlord (who gave me the gear) and I thought I'd show him it in action. Great!
Then I put the panels back in the boot lid and it the camera / sender didn't work. We spent the next 1.5 hrs trying to diagnose the problem, even going as far as trying a completely different set of wireless units, only to decide the wireless kits were dodgy and that was probably why he stopped using them. The camera works fine hard-wired to a screen. So that's what I'll do - no wireless send / receive. A little bit more mucking around but worth it.
Removed the hose between the S/C and the bypass valve to see if was operational at all. It seems that it's not. I found a post on here this morning that indicates perhaps there's a worn track in the inside of the bypass valve, which would actually match what I am seeing.
Also tried to figure out how to operate my bonnet strut. I keep meaning to order a new one but want to be sure that the one I have IS no good.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
2020-10-10
The first postal sloth arrived with one of the switches I ordered (from eBay). This was destined to operate the rear windows but now that I have my hydraulic repair kit I might not end up using it.
My mate gave me a great idea for the front fascia. I had intended to leave it black for a while and then maybe put the carbon wrap on it, but he suggested alcantara. I like that idea and will actively investigate it. I'm thinking I'll cut a new fascia anyway as the first one I did has a few mistakes that I'd like to fix,
I'm just in the process of putting together a wiring diagram for my middle console so I know what I need to run and where, so that I can get it finished and put it back in the car.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
2020-10-10
An overall productive day spent on the car, although a little frustrating....
Using the recently uploaded diagrams I figured out which was the 12v wire for the reversing lights and from the selector to the Illumination Control Module.
I got the entire reversing camera setup hooked up to my reversing lights so that is powered when the reversing lights are selected. The video cable plugs into the stereo and it all works. Kinda. The frustrating part is that although I plugged the RCA cable into the plug marked reversing on the stereo, it doesn't show the camera when I use the reversing wire from the stereo. I have to manually select AUX on it. Bums. Oh well.
However the main thing is that I now I have my reversing lights (and thus camera) on a switch in the cabin. I also wired up a buzzer that comes on so I don't forget to turn them off again ;)

Also I removed the side panels in the boot in preparation for next weekend when we do the hydraulic seals.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
2020-10-14
My fob PCB arrived on Monday. As I don't have the correct fob for it yet, I plugged some batteries into it then taped it up with electrical tape. Then spent the next hour unsuccessfully trying to get it to synch to my car. Then eventually gave up in disgust. I suspected (and was possibly confirmed by Dave) that the PCB and transponder need to be in close proximity for this to be successful.

I've redesigned my central console insert, with the switches at the front. I'll finish the design off soon and maybe start cutting the wood for it.

Today I went looking for more info on my stereo and found a website which showed 2 images contradicting each other in regards to the actual reverse camera input. The one that isn't the same as the one I followed would seem to corroborate what I am seeing (no image when 12v applied to the reversing input line). I think I want this to work so I'm going to have to somehow get the stereo out again. Dammit.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
2020-10-14
Pulled the stereo out and swapped the cable to the correct video input and tested it - perfect! Took the opportunity to run the cable from the camera all the way to the stereo and do away with the extension. It's still on a switch, so any time I want the reverse lights and camera, I can turn them on.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
2020-10-15
So it turns out the reversing camera I put in is terrible at night. It'll do for now, but I can see that I will need to replace it before long.
I checked the requirements for reversing lights on the NZ regs web site and while they aren't mandatory equipment and possible to have them on a switch, if they are on a switch they should only operate if the main lights are off. Makes sense....
So to that end I ordered a DPDT switch so that I can wire them up to be operated by the gear selector when it comes time for a WOF, and then back to being switch operated the rest of the time. It's either this or pull the centre console out and plug the cable back in each time I take the car for a warrant... That ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
2020-10-17
Visited my local electronics shop and bought some decent solder, a DPDT switch and some CR2025 batteries. Then I stopped in to my local everything shop and bought some black, patterned fabric and spray adhesive.
I've fitted the DPDT switch to my new switch panel to control my reverse lights and camera. Works well.
The black fabric has been glued on to my second fascia which I finished this morning. Looks really nice but I can see that it's going to fray and come undone, but it gives me a decent impression of what it's going to look like when I do finish it.

Tomorrow I'm going around to my friend's place and we are gong to tackle my hydraulics Hopefully this time tomorrow my roof will be fully functional.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
2020-10-18
Finished off the switch panel and fitted it. Finished is of course a subjective description ;)
Somewhere along the line I must have knocked the radio antenna out of the stereo because that doesn't work now, dammit. It's too hard to get at it to fix, so will leave as is for now.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
2020-10-22
Forgot to do my update on how things went on the weekend.
Went around to my mate's place with the intention of replacing all 5 of the hydraulic seals.That didn't quite work out...
We managed to get the front one done without too much stress. But then my mate lost the e-clip that held the locking mechanism pin in place so lost quite a bit of time trying to find that and then me making a temporary one out of something else.
Then we tried the roof and found that it would go down down but not back up. No problem, I can do that manually. Except it wouldn't f*cking latch.So we spent an hour or so working on that. Pulling it all apart, repositioning the mechanism, etc etc. In the end we ran out of day and I went home with the top down.
Did I mention that the front cylinder still leaks? Grrrrrr.

Yesterday I stumbled across the existence of a switch in the boot attached to a plate that I had removed when I was filling the reservoir. So I checked that last night and discovered that the switch was broken (and looked like it had been fixed previously) so I fixed it, refitted the plate and hey presto, the roof works. It leaks like a sieve from the front cylinder, but it works. I think one of the front locking switches isn't engaging as the rear windows don't go up and the car beeps at me sometimes whilst I'm driving. I'll have a look at them on the weekend.

The main thing is that the hydraulic system works and the boot is now locked in place.

I ordered some more o-rings for the front cylinder from a place that I thought was in NZ, but they appear to have shipped from the UK, so I can either wait for those or keep looking. I think I'll keep looking ;)

I've done some more work on the centre console, but have miscalculated the dimensions of the frame for the drinks holder. Luckily I have made it too big, so can easily trim the bits of wood down. Again, I'll probably do that on the weekend.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
2020-10-24
Some great progress with the cup holder / switch block for the middle console.
Some on-the-fly design changes, but basically ready to cut holes for the cups, wire up the switches and paint the wood.
The USB cables coming out of the charger are still too high with the lid shut so have ordered some 90 deg cables to use with it.
IMG_20201024_112234.jpg

41 - 57 of 57 Posts