Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,369 Posts
Also pulled out the center dash console to see what was behind and it seems that the best way to fit a double-din stereo is to utilise the existing structure and modify the console panel. At this stage I'm thinking I might make a new one out of thin MDF or plywood and cover it in carbon fibre wrap.
It's been done a few times (y)

@whizpup uk 's thread here for some nice pics and inspiration:

and then pick up @Dave2302 's thread on page 2 here for more inspiration and lengthy explanations:

HTH

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's been done a few times
@whizpup uk 's thread here for some nice pics and inspiration:

and then pick up @Dave2302 's thread on page 2 here for more inspiration and lengthy explanations:

HTH
I'd seen the first one before, but not Dave's, Dave is a beast!! He's awesome for sure.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
2020-09-18
Logging some ideas for the armrest compartment:
I'll put the switch for the rear windows in here, after making a "block" to mount it and future switches on.

Future switches:
  • Sub Woofer on/off. I have the sub and amp I pulled out of my daughter's car which I'm thinking of putting in my car (if it fits in the boot). I'll put a switch in to allow me to turn it on and off when desired.
  • Heated seat switches? Depending on what heaters I end up getting ..
  • Mood lighting. I have some red LED strips which I might install around the cabin and under the dash. Need to to able to turn these off.
  • Maybe a switch for the reversing camera / reversing buzzer. Depending on whether I can fix the reversing switch in the selector I might just wire up the reversing lights to a switch. In which case I will also hook up a piezo buzzer so I don't forget they are on.
Also I'll put a light in here which I will need a micro switch for on the lid.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
2020-09-19
Traipsed around this morning trying to find some spray paint in a (vaguely) similar colour to the original, with no luck. Ended up back where I started, at my local hardware store where I bought some regular paint and some primer.
All up I bought:
Paint
Primer
Painting sponge
Sandpaper
Sheet of 3mm MDF
Screws
Wood glue
Switches
Chocky block (electrical connector strip).

Once home I sanded my middle console and gave it two coats of primer. Looks much better already. Later on I'll give at a coat of paint.

Also removed the glovebox and left hand side panel. They haven't been repainted so should be much easier to do a proper job of.

Tonight I'll have a think about how to make my switch box with the MDF. Although the switch I bought appear to be crap so might not end up using those.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
2020-09-19 (2)
Tried the sub in the boot. Not a chance in hxll that's going to work. I'll leave it for now and maybe investigate an under seat woofer at a later date.

Finally got a chance to get my car up on a jack and check out where the rattle is coming from underneath. Seems to the baffles in the resonators. Curiously enough my exhaust splits into two, through a resonator on each pipe then joins back into one. I'll likely just have them cut out and have them replaced with a single resonator.

2 coats of paint later and the middle console is looking great. Will refit tomorrow.
I've removed as much paint as I can from the glove box surround. Will prime and paint tomorrow. Also will try and fix as many of the breaks in the plastic as I can.
The glove box door needs to have the paint removed before I can paint it.

I got the middle control panel out also, and am in the process of measuring up so that I can recreate it with MDF, tomorrow if I have time.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
2020-09-20
Stripped the paint off the surround and the glove box, did 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint.
Glued as many of the cracks in the surround that I could, but also made a support strip which I will try and use to hold it place.
Crafted a cup holder for the arm rest. It'll also be used to hold the switch array. I don't have an hole drills that big so had to do it manually. Looks pretty rough, but once I had some carbon wrap on it and hopefully glued some rubber strip around the inside of the cupholders you won't notice.
I'll put some LED lights under it also to put more light on the subject :D I need to find a microswitch I can use to trigger them when the lid is opened.

Refitted the glove box. It really shows up the old paint.

The glove box light isn't getting any power (along with the cluster lights), so I'll hold off refitting that I was going to put some LEDs in there also.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
2020-09-25
Took the car into the exhaust shop this morning. The chap there confirmed that the cats were original, and completely stuffed. An hour later he had them off and some straight pipe in their place. She's a bit noisier ;-)

Stopped in to the hardware shop on my way home and bought some more primer and a can of clear coat. Tomorrow I'll clear coat the parts I've done then have a crack at painting the other dash parts that need doing.

Did some more work on the console face for my stereo upgrade. It's fiddly. But if I can pull it off it'll be worth it.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
2020-09-26
Spent the day pulling the driver's side apart, priming and painting.
The clear coat I bought yesterday was matte, which I thought would be best so that it didn't add any more shine to the paint. Turns out it didn't just not add any shine it completely sucked the life out of the paint. I went back and got some gloss and that brought the console I had used the matte on, back to life luckily. The rest of the panels I did with the gloss, including the glove box and surround.
I had to rush to get it all done today as it's supposed to be raining tomorrow. I'll spend the day refitting as much as I can.
Whilst I have the middle bit out I might take the opportunity to explore how I am going to fit the stereo.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
2020-09-27
Took advantage of the rainy morning by cutting out a piece of the middle console and fitting my stereo.
I didn't want to cut anything out but the cigarette tray and nick nack holder had been glued in leaving me little choice. And it turned out to be a good choice as it raised the stereo up out of the way of the gear lever.
Then I spent an hour making up the harness for the stereo-to-car. This meant plug and play when fitted and that's exactly what happened....
Then after plugging it in to check that it worked, I spent the next 2 hours trying to fit all the panels I'd pulled out, back in. I found most of them were OK but the bottom driver's side doesn't quite fit properly as the brittle plastic meant that a few tabs and things have snapped off. I've got gaps where I didn't before which I'll eventually get around to fixing. But not today, I'm over it ;)
Here's some photos of the almost finished product. I've still got some work to do on the centre console to fit some switches and the middle facia needs to be replaced with the custom one I am working on.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
2020-09-30
It's great having a better stereo in the car. The only problem is this unit is prone to electrical interference. It did it in my other car, and the unit that I took out didn't so I don't think that it's the grounding in the car. Pretty sure its the unit itself. Oh well.

My hydraulic repair kit arrived yesterday, so I ordered some Febi 02615 hydraulic oil today.

After some experimentation I think I'll use a security-type reed switch for the middle console lighting switch. No contact needed (I was thinking micro-switch) and much easier to wire in.

Still no fob PCB or switches.

Toying with the idea of getting a wireless tyre pressure monitoring kit. Not that I need one, but because they're cool ;)

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
2020-10-02
Yesterday the hydraulic fluid I ordered on Wednesday arrived. 1 day. Awesome.
Also I picked up a rotary tool and accessories, on sale at my local auto store. I used that today to finish cutting out the holes in the new fascia for the car. It's already paid for itself.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts