Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car is is pretty good condition overall but does have some issues that need addressing. I'll list them here and then post on what I've done as and when I do it....

Issue / Priority (H/M/L)
Roof does not open automatically. Apparently this is due to the front ram leaking. (L).
Fit a reversing camera and screen. Still deciding between a new head unit and a dedicated screen. (M).
Do a throttle body reset (H).
Repaint interior. (M).
Fix cracked consoles.(M).

Replace hood strut (M).
Get some electric seat warmers. (L).
Fix central locking (M).
Get replacement fob / spare key. (L).
Diagnosis / repair non-functioning central console lights. (M).
Fix loose reverse switch for reversing light. (M).

2020-08-22
Did the throttle body reset as per instructions found on this forum. Seems to have done the trick.

Bought some new bulbs for the A/C switches and removed one of the bulbs only to find the filament intact. I checked continuity with a mutlmeter and it seems to be OK. Checked the fuses in the driver's fuse box and the under the hood fuse box and they looked ok. Unsure what to do next. Didn't open and try the new bulbs as I might end up returning them if the current bulbs are ok.

Checked the central locking pump. Looks OK but a little bit damp, so wiped it. It was actually upside down which I thought was curious as I was under the impression that only the later models were like that.
At some stage the central locking came to life. Previously I was only able to unlock the doors / boot with the switch inside the car, but now it both locks and unlocks, and I don't know why. In addition to checking the pump I also cleaned the inside of the car and checked the wiring to the passenger side door, so potentially one of them could have been equally responsible for bringing the central locking to life. I still can't lock both doors with my key though, which is a pain :(

Had a look at where to fit an external camera for reversing. The when cleaning the interior I had an epiphany! I have a number of FPV cameras (off drones) that I could use as a reversing camera, along with a screen. My car doesn't have the cup holders on the dash, rather a storage try, which is the perfect size to hold the screen. It would be remarkably simply for me to hook two up inside the car, with the camera on the rear parcel tray. That might be tomorrow's project.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2020-08-23

Took the bulb out again and tested 12v across it. Worked fine. Not sure what to check next.

Washed the car AGAIN but this time with the wax I couldn't find yesterday before I washed it :D

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2020-08-23
Went out for a drive today and ended doing some timing tests to check if the SC is functional. I can conclusively say that it's NOT. I guess the first to check is the electronics.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2020-08-24

Cobbled together my reversing camera proof-of-concept. Part-way through I had the horrible realisation that it the image needed to be mirrored. The screen doesn't mirror but luckily the camera does. So I'll re-wire it on the weekend so that the power is supplied by a cigarette lighter adapter and the wires are all the right length.
Not sure how I'm going to mount the screen but that's the next step ;-)

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2020-08-25
Tried out the reversing camera set up in the car - it didn't power on. Later I noticed that the power wire to the camera is broken. Maybe it would have worked ?

2020-08-26
Tested the cigarette lighter outlet for power. None. Broken power wire on camera is a red herring.
Tested that my fuel flap locks when I lock the door from the outside. Nope. If I lock from the inside, I can hear it click so it must be working. Just not with the key.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2020-08-27

Replaced the broken wire on the reversing camera and tested. OK.
Realised that I could use the double-din stereo I had in my old car as the monitor for the reversing camera. Wired it up on the bench and tested. OK. Now to decide whether I want to try fitting a double-din stereo or not.
Also had some thoughts about my reversing lights, or rather the gear selector for reverse which needs to be in just the right spot for the lights to work. I could follow Bazzle's method which looks rather difficult or I could make up a small shim which would fit into the selector guide (is that the name?) and prevent the selector from moving too far when in reverse. I suspect that it will need to be able to be flipped in and out of position.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2020-08-29
First taste of success today. Located the fuse for the cigarette lighter and replaced it, then put in place my makeshift reversing set up. Tested. OK.
Made a guide out of plastic for my shifter so that when I am in reverse, my reversing lights go on.

Removed the K40 relay block and resoldered all of the pins. However, this was not a success and made no difference to the S/C.

2020-08-30
Today is supposed to be sunny so I might manually drop the top and go for a drive.
I'll investigate other reasons the S/C might not be functioning.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2020-08-30
Removed the air hose from the S/C butterfly valve and tested that the S/C engaged when I blocked the pipe. It did. So if I have been reading correctly that means the S/C is ok and the problem is with the butterfly valve. To that end I disconnected the power cable to the valve and checked that it had power. It did - 12v.
Started the car and revved it. The butterfly did NOT move.
To me that confirms that the issue is with the butterfly.

Pulled out one of the spark plugs and found that it's using Bosch single-wire plugs. Couldn't find any reference to the SLK using those so I'm wondering if they are the wrong plugs.

Finally with the help of my son we manually dropped the top and went for a spin. As I said to him whilst we were driving, any misgivings I may have had in buying this car evaporated when we dropped the top and drove off..... Yeah!!

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2020-08-31
After much gnashing of teeth I pulled the pin on a set of NGK plugs from RockAuto.com
It's ridiculous that I can buy a set of plugs, pay the same amount again in freight and still pay less than half of what they would have cost me here in NZ.

Also it looks like I need to spend some more time investigating the air recirculation flap as the likely culprit of my S/C woes.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2020-09-05
Did an computer reset on my car (disconnect terminals to drain capacitance) then fired the car up. The S/C clutch was definitely engaging but it's running as lumpy AF (big misfire somewhere) Took her for a burn but still no boost.
I suspect that the spark plugs in it are definitely the wrong ones and were OK when the S/C wasn't working but now are no good.
Looked at the fuses in the driver's panel and found that fuse 11 (dash control lights) does not exist. Could explain why they don't work ;)

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2020-09-05
Bought some fuses for the dash lights and the Cigaretter lighter, only to discover that the number 11 fuse doesn't exist. It turns out that's only for left hand drive cars. sigh.
Whilst out testing things I managed to get all of the windows down with the roof switch but couldn't get them back up (I could previously). However I found the way to (hopefully) do it, which I will try tomorrow.
I've noticed that there's a distinctive rattle coming from under the car. Hopefully it's part of the exhaust vibrating against something.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,369 Posts
I've noticed that there's a distinctive rattle coming from under the car. Hopefully it's part of the exhaust vibrating against something.
More likely to be a case of one of the heatshield bolts no longer doing its' job.

I've just fixed two of the exhaust h/shield bolts on my 200 and have still got another one to fix in the trans tunnel :confused:
.. then I have a really annoying one in the 320 trans tunnel to sort out

HTH

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
More likely to be a case of one of the heatshield bolts no longer doing its' job.

I've just fixed two of the exhaust h/shield bolts on my 200 and have still got another one to fix in the trans tunnel :confused:
.. then I have a really annoying one in the 320 trans tunnel to sort out

HTH
Thanks, that definitely helps :D

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2020-09-06
A frustrating day to say the least. Mucking about in the car I used the roof button to lower all of the windows and then tried to raise them all but NONE of the windows would go up. I then spent an hour or so trying to figure out why.
Long story short, it seems that the boot latches aren't locking and this had the knock-on effect of preventing the windows from being operated.
I have founds threads on how to manually raise the rear windows with a 12v supply and possibly how to lock the boot in place, but those will have to wait until next weekend to do. In the mean time I had 2 small window open in my car. This means I can't take it out in the rain.
But the most annoying thing is that whilst I was trying to get my boot to lock in position by trying to get the locks to engage I was accidentally banging the corner of the boot into my roof and there't now an unsightly ding in it which stands out like dog's bollo.... I'll have to get some silver paint to hide the scratch but the dent itself is pretty obvious.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2020-09-07
Finally some good news! I managed to get the rear windows up by putting 12v across the terminals. Relatively easy to access and very easy to add a switch to manually lower/raise.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
2020-09-09
Replaced the unknown Bosch spark plugs with the new NGK's. They seem to have made a difference. It's a bit peppier off the line and my my top speed has increased I think. Hopefully it's more economical as that's the biggest issue I have.
I was hoping that the new plugs would bring the S/C to life. But no such luck.
I've ordered some MOSFETs so when they arrive I will have a look at replacing those.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
2020-09-12
Did another (proper) throttle body reset today. And it has made a noticeable different to how the car drives. Impressed.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2020-09-13
As Techron doesn't seem to be readily available as a separate product here in New Zealand, I have been using Caltex petrol which includes Techron. Additionally went and bought some Rislone Injector cleaner and popped that into my tank.
Did brake bind test on a slight slope. No binding apparent.
Removed the centre console. Will attempt to strip the paint from it over the next week but it looks like its been re-painted before so it depends what paint they've used. I also discovered that one of the two former owners appeared to own a dog ;)
Pulled out the shifting mechanism and was tempted to pull it apart to fix my reversing lights, but decided it against that in case things didn't go to plan. Will reconsider on the weekend.
With the console out I can see now how I am going to power and fit the switch for the rear windows. That should be a piece of cake.
My landlord came over with a wireless reversing camera setup that he'd bought and never used. I could be tempted into using it.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2020-09-14
Figured out how to get the stereo out. The after market unit uses a harness to connect to the car, so should be a doddle to hack into that to wire up my stereo should I decide to go down that path.

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
2020-09-17
Pulled out the centre console ostensibly to remove the paint, only to find that it has already been repainted at least once. However not with actual Benz paint, but regular type paint. Still mulling over how to paint it, but am thinking I'll just give it a sand, do a coat or two of primer and then paint it with regular paint. I won't bother trying to strip the old paint.
Also pulled out the center dash console to see what was behind and it seems that the best way to fit a double-din stereo is to utilise the existing structure and modify the console panel. At this stage I'm thinking I might make a new one out of thin MDF or plywood and cover it in carbon fibre wrap.

Last night I bit the bullet and ordered a hydraulic repair kit off eBay.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts