Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
*Registered
2007 SLK200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the head unit in my R171 SLK 200 and I'm having trouble figuring out part of the connector. I've got a (what I believe is) standard cd/radio - no LCD screen/satnav - from various google searches, I gather there are a number of different spec stereos (I've seen discussion of comand models, amplifier models) so I'm not sure. Mine looks like this.

Having asked an audio supplier, they've suggested CTSMC004.2. That looks mostly correct from the pictures, however my existing connector appears to have a couple of fibre optics (Pic attached), which the adaptor does not appear to have. I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, I lose by not using these optics. I assume this means there is an external unit of some sort in play, but I haven't seen anything obvious and I'm loath to start pulling the car apart randomly without knowing what I'm looking for. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
107,865 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,166 Posts
That is an Audio 20 unit you have now. Only things on the fibre I can think of is telephone,CDC and sattelite radio. Last one you can skip in the UK I think. Other 2 will not work anymore but no doubt your new radio will fill in the void.
So pretty easy swap I guess.
But I take no liability for anything not working after the swap. :p
But it will help if you post what other multimedia stuff you currently have.....

·
*Registered
2007 SLK200
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no other multimedia stuff in the car that I've found - tbh, until I pulled it out and saw the fibre, I assumed it was a completely basic head unit. If there was a CDC in the boot, I'd like to think I'd have spotted it :) and as you say, sat radio isn't available the UK, so I'm going to assume its for a phone connection.

In any case, none of those are things I use or need, so I'll disregard the fibre and crack on with the swap. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

·
*Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,166 Posts
There is no other multimedia stuff in the car that I've found - tbh, until I pulled it out and saw the fibre, I assumed it was a completely basic head unit. If there was a CDC in the boot, I'd like to think I'd have spotted it :) and as you say, sat radio isn't available the UK, so I'm going to assume its for a phone connection.

In any case, none of those are things I use or need, so I'll disregard the fibre and crack on with the swap. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
FYI here is a nice overview. Page 12.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK200
29 Posts
I Installed a Erisin 8-Core Android 10.0 DSP Car Stereo DAB+ Sat Nav DVR CarPlay WiFi Mercedes Benz SLK Class R171. Forget the fibre, it basically does the hands fee phone which is completely replaced by the new head unit. It took 30mins to install and has bluetooth Car play all for around £250.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts