Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
Yes, just need to change the Yellow Airbag Plug to R171 type, (solder splice and heatshrink the 2 wires) and only use the yellow socket on the AB, the R171 AB has a green one too, leave that one with nothing in it and you'll get no SRS Fault Lights on your R170 ;)

HTH :)

You do realise though that if you do this I will expect you to install an Android Head Unit and get all the Buttons on the Steering Wheel to work the Android H/U .........................

BTW you can also get these Steering Wheels with Paddle Shifts, which can also be made to work if your Car is Auto Trans :D :D :D ...........................

This all works flawlessly ..........................

Clickable:-

Registered 2000 SLK230
Can i fit a 2002 CLK steering wheel onto my 2000 SLK230? My 2002 CLK steering wheel is not the original one but a replacement with Sport design.

Never tried that but I don't see why the advice would be any different from above ;)

The CLK may have identical Airbag Plug, but if not just do as I said above in post #2 ;)

HTH ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

Registered 2000 SLK230
Never tried that but I don't see why the advice would be any different from above ;)

The CLK may have identical Airbag Plug, but if not just do as I said above in post #2 ;)

HTH ;)
Thanks, I am worry about reusing the airbag from the SLK to fit the CLK steering wheel. I will post the steering wheel pic when I have it. Thanks.

No, don't do it that way unless it is an exact fit !!

Use the A/B that came with the Wheel, or buy the correct one that goes with that Steering Wheel ;)

Then just change the yellow plug on the R170 Wiring if you need too, there is only 2 types of yellow plug AFAIK, so if you are buying Airbag separately, get one that has the plug still in it with a short cut bit of wire, then solder that to the R170 wire ;) If CLK Airbag has a green plug also, just discard it.

That's what I did, my SRS light is not on.

Note that if you turn ignition on with AB disconnected the SRS light will come on and then you will need a decent scanner if not SDS to reset the code in the AB module and put that light off ;)

HTH

Registered 2000 SLK230
Dave2302 Thanks for the warning and the way to do it if necessary.
I just swap the original CLK steering wheel to the Sport Steering wheel without changing to any wiring, The process was removing the old steering wheel, mount the new one without any wiring modification to CLK airbag.
The ideal way is to do the same with the SLK, swap the original steering wheel with the sport steering wheel, reusing the original SLK airbag. Not sure by buying a CLK airbag and do the wiring modification you mentioned may cause SRS warning light to go on, not what I want to risk.
Attach is the image of sport steering wheel that I have on my CLK430 before it got vandalized and insurance have it written off.

Attachments

Not sure by buying a CLK airbag and do the wiring modification you mentioned may cause SRS warning light to go on, not what I want to risk.
That was the whole point of all my waffle :ROFLMAO:

I did use the other type of Airbag, (R171) with R171 Wheel and it didn't put the SRS light on, all was happy ;)

Anyway i'm just happy for you that it is sorted :)

Registered 2000 SLK230
Hi Dave2302, one more question.

CLK 's horn is activate by pushing into the middle of the air bag cover. SLK horn is activate by pressing the button on either side of the airbag.

Is there a separate wiring for connection to the horn beside the airbag connectors on the SLK wiring scheme.?

Thanks.

Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
@000-668, when you want to get someone's attention you need to put @ in front of their membername.

Like this @Dave2302 (y)

Reactions: Dave2302

Horn on CLK is worked via CAN Bus communication with SAM unit, the Steering Wheel has Microswitches in behind the AB.

R170 SLK uses old skool Contacts and Earths the circuit to fire it's Horn relay.

What I did was to join the 3 Micro Switches into a parallell circuit using thin wires soldered onto those switches, and then connect one to the Horn Contact and one to the Earth wiring which is already on the inside of the SLK Steering Wheel ;)

HTH

Registered 2000 SLK230
Sound more complicated than I have anticipated. Guess I am going to sell the CLK sport steering wheel to recover some cost.

Anyone interest in the CLK steering wheel?

Cheers.

It is actually very easy when you take it to bits to see how it works ;)

Registered 2000 SLK230
I don't have CLK airbag and don't think I want to spend more on getting the mod.

SLK's steering wheel is not that bad. I used to change steering wheel into a more sporty one.

Currently I have one for the W210 E320, W140 S500 and W208 CLK430 sport steering wheels that I need to sell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts