Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about having my steering wheel re trimmed in Alcantara.
I would need to send my steering wheel away and possibly be without it for up to a week.thats not a problem for me but I have to disconnect the battery to remove the airbag.My question is are there any disadvantages of leaving the battery disconnected for one week?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Once you've taken out the airbag, can't you reattach the battery for that week and then disconnect when you refit the wheel?
Yes,I did think of that too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I have been looking into getting my steering done too, the leather is so hard and shiney now. After some research and picking up on recommendations on the Web, I came up with the same guys you have chosen.

Prices quoted on other car Web sites are about £100 to £120, depends on what you want and postage I guess.

I liked that they do an exchange, so you drive and see them and they swap it over. Takes about 30 mins. Not so easy coming from Dublin.

Let us know how it goes.

As said I would prefer to put the battery back on. You may have an error message I guess.

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
You will get a error message if you reconnect the battery, which will need to be erased .

No problem in leaving the car without the battery for a week, so long as you have somewhere safe to leave it open....

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
Once you've taken out the airbag, can't you reattach the battery for that week and then disconnect when you refit the wheel?
No harm in leaving the battery disconnected. Just remember to reset your clock and your windows when you reconnect it. If you connect the battery while the air bag is out you may trip the SRS light. To reset the light may require Star/DAS or other professional level scan tool. Can't drive car so might as well leave it disconnected.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.
Does anyone on the forum have a re trimmed steering wheel?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just ordered my re trimmed steering wheel:smile:
I went for black alcantara,black nappa leather on the bottom and finished off with red stitching including a thicker,softer rim.
They are very busy at the moment but I should have it in 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Just ordered my re trimmed steering wheel:smile:
I went for black alcantara,black nappa leather on the bottom and finished off with red stitching including a thicker,softer rim.
They are very busy at the moment but I should have it in 2 weeks.
Sounds a great choice. Did you go for Royal in the end? Bit cheeky, but do you mind telling us how much it was?

Don't forget the obligatory photos when it's fitted :laugh:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not cheeky at all:wink:

I went with Royal and it costs 160 pounds.
Can't wait!

Reactions: davest4s

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,858 Posts
You can leave your battery disconnected for weeks no harm done .

And yes the steering wheel to me on mine feels thin and to plasticy feel needs beefing up a tad smaller and more of a sportier shape as such . :grin:

Get your photos up please :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
You may already have seen it, but Royal got a very positive recommendation in Evo magazine last month (Issue 219) - so it looks a good choice! Looking forward to seeing the pictures as I thinking of doing this on my MINI...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steering wheel re trim( Update with pics)

OK guys.I received my re trimmed wheel today.
Just finished fitting.Wow,that center 10mm bolt is TIGHT!.
Here are some pics as promised:smile:

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It feels great!
the rim is slighter thicker with padding.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.