Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here change their OEM steering wheel for something a little smaller.
the R170 one is massive, has anyone ever changed it for a smaller onw.
how does it work with the Airbag
Any Pics would be excellent???

Thanks

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I can't recall anyone on here doing it on an R170 - a couple of people have changed the wheel on an R171 to good effect, both visually and improved driveability. There is also a marked performance increase as their wallets are now substantially lighter :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you show me a pic?
what stearing wheel did you choose and does it have an Airbag so it can be a direct swap?
how much???

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
So I've got a R171 rather than an R170, and I went with the 030 Facelift performance package wheel. I needed a new airbag to go with it, so was not a cheap upgrade.

I don't know enough about the R170 to know what you are looking at - but I think it shared steering wheel with the W203 chassis. There's a Swedish company on FleaBay that sells OEM wheels at great discounts, so may find something there you like. I'd be cautious of aftermarket wheels, but that's just me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that wheel is really nice.
has anyone got any pics of different wheels for the R170?
the r171 wheels looks lovely you have in your pic

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
- a couple of people have changed the wheel on an R171 to good effect, both visually and improved driveability.
:confused:"Improved drive ability"? Validation please. My SLK 55 doesn't know which steering wheel it has. I do agree with everything else.:)

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
:confused:"Improved drive ability"? Validation please. My SLK 55 doesn't know which steering wheel it has. I do agree with everything else.:)
I think that they are talking about the "Driver Feel" with the new wheel not that it actually makes the car drive better.
I'm sure a smaller steering wheel would make the feel and handling a lot tighter and easier on the driver.

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
:)I know. Maybe increased euphoria. Just having a little fun with words.
Oooops...Didn't mean to trump your fun!!

:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah the stearing wheel looks the same as the AMG one really
the R171 wheel is lovely and looks no where as huge as the R170 wheel.
a smaller wheel would be less effort to drive the car and improve drive a bility

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.