Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steering damper

16K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Moggins 
#1 ·
Changed my steering damper last week, have to say made an amazing improvement! It 32$ online,took and hour and really was pretty easy!

My car has 110k and was or well maintained, but this was an easy cheap fix!

#8 ·
Tackled this little project this morning. Quite easy, took all of about 20 minutes. Tools required.
1 16mm wrench open and box end
1 16mm socket with ratchet

I jacked up the passenger side of the car with my floor jack to get a little more work room.
The passenger side is just a bolt threaded into another piece of the suspension. No nut on this side. I had to use the wrench here because there is a support bracket in the way to get the socket on.
The driver side was a bolt and nut. You will need the wrench here to hold the nut on top while you use the socket to remove the bolt.
I did not have torque specs but these are big bolts. Very unlikely you will break these unless you use an impact.
Put the new stabilizer on in reverse order and that was it. Will test drive after while and see if there is any difference. The old one seemed worn out compared to the new one.
Keep in mind this was on an 01 SLK 320, your vehicle may be different.

#10 ·
Tackled this little project this morning. Quite easy, took all of about 20 minutes. Tools required.
1 16mm wrench open and box end
1 16mm socket with ratchet

I jacked up the passenger side of the car with my floor jack to get a little more work room.
The passenger side is just a bolt threaded into another piece of the suspension. No nut on this side. I had to use the wrench here because there is a support bracket in the way to get the socket on.
The driver side was a bolt and nut. You will need the wrench here to hold the nut on top while you use the socket to remove the bolt.
I did not have torque specs but these are big bolts. Very unlikely you will break these unless you use an impact.
Put the new stabilizer on in reverse order and that was it. Will test drive after while and see if there is any difference. The old one seemed worn out compared to the new one.
Keep in mind this was on an 01 SLK 320, your vehicle may be different.
I have a 2001 SLK 320. So, there are two steering dampers (driver side and passenger side) correct? Does anyone have pics of location?

#12 ·
I have a quick question, I just replaced my steering damper yesterday, and I replaced it the exact same way that the old one was in there. Upon reading the new damper though, and the arrow pointing in the direction of the frame, it makes me think the previous one may have been in backwords. I attached a picture, from the drivers side. If anyone could tell me if it looks right, or upload a picture of theirs just so I could double check and make sure it is in properly, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

#14 ·
I have been following this thread, and my question is - did it take away the vibration?

It only happens on mine between 60 and 70mph. As soon as you go into even a slight bend at that speed the vibration goes away, only to return when you straighten up.

#15 ·
It took the vibration out of my wife's 01 SLK 320. Her's was actually leaking oil out of one end so it was obvious it was bad. I noticed it one day getting on the freeway on the ramp. Steering wheel kinda shook back and forth, not really a vibration, just a slight back and forth until I passed about 65 mph and it went away. Didn't do it all the time. Seems road surface played a part too. Replacing was easy. Took all of 30 minutes maybe. Here's the one I bought at Parts Geek. Good luck

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2001/mercedes/slk320/steering/steering_damper.html

#17 ·
need advise on if i should go with oem or off brand. i looked into autozone's damper:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...N-jksgdZ8oxi5?itemIdentifier=450471_326705_0_
and their's has a lifetime warranty on it. meaning when ever i to change it out, i just take it back and they give me another one.
has anyone put one of these on their slk?

I don't have real high opinions of AutoZone, I think I would go with OEM. I bought a set of so called life time brake pads from them for my 07 Tahoe. Not cheap one's either, brand name. Employee said everything is in the computer, you don't even need your receipt if there is ever an issue just bring them back. The front pads started to squeak. I took them off and they had hair line cracks all over them. Took them back, guess what? You got it, we don't see that you purchased those here. I'll never go back. I use Oreilly's almost always now.

#18 ·
Way too much Chinese junk out there. You can buy the OEM part from some of our trusted online sellers for around $30. That would be Stabilus or maybe Febi.

#20 ·
Guys, it's a $30 part (go oem or oem equivalent! ) and 2
Bolts, literally like 20 minutes for me and I barely know which end of a screwdriver to use! Truly no brainer ( just be sure to use jack stands and since I'm freaked out about getting squished I used cement blocks as backup! )

If you are over a 100k swap it out!!

#21 ·
I have exactly the same issue as others here. Vague steering at low speed, following deviations in the road surface, especially on the kerb side. I also have a slight click when I turn the steering wheel. It didn't occur to me before, but this is almost identical to my old Suzuki motorbike and the fix was the same!!! Having been told I need new tyres and £30 just to look - not touch, just look - this is a bargain if it works. If the problem is still there, "I know what it isn't" for £27 (could have bought cheaper, but I trust the supplier and it's a genuine Febi). Many Thanks Guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.