Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a steam cleaner for a long time, but they always seemed tp be about $750. Discovered some home/consumer grade cleaners recently. Settled on the Dupray Neat at about $194 OTD. Needed for household cleaning, but planning on using it on my cars. Videos and articles sounded good. BUT, this article advises against using one on leather seats. Any guidance on this?

Lots of attachments. I tried the Neat around the house. Easy to use, just be careful. Worked some places but not others. From Dupray's videos, looks like it will work well on nasty carpets. Things don't get as wet as you'd think. Any general warnings or tips on SLK/SLC interiors? Anything melt? Steam temp is 275º F. How are these on wheels? Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,519 Posts
Attempting to steam clean on your own can mean irreparably damaged leather. If the temperature isn't just right, if the steamer is too close to the surface, or if its held on one area for too long, your leather can become stretched and rippled.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,304 Posts
Do you have heated seats? Wouldn't want the elements getting wet.

A pita job, I agree, but judging by past members posts it is best to stick to slow and steady cleaning

Slow and steady mistakes are likely to be minor.
Steaming....maybe not so much.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,893 Posts
Try a glycerine based leather soap/saddle soap. There's only two seats and door cards along with a few other small areas after all.
Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
I use a soap made by Stubben.
That should be more than sufficient (y) unless you have another driver in the house
images.jpeg

Reactions: DavidD

·
Premium member 2018 SLC43
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try a glycerine based leather soap/saddle soap. There's only two seats and door cards along with a few other small areas after all.
Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
I use a soap made by Stubben.
I've been using Lexol cleaner and conditioner (separate products). Guess I'll stick with those for leather. May be good under the hood, though. I have a pressure washer but people here don't recommend that for engines. This produces very little loose water, though. Thanks all!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts