Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a '05 slk55 with 79k miles. Car hadn't been to a dealer for service since 40k miles [2010]. The prior owner said he changed oil every 2500 miles. Car looked good to me but don't know much about MB's. Wanted to get it checked by MB and have the usual stuff done. For the B service [my manual calls it service 1-8, not a,b,c] they do oil change and filter and many checks per the service advisor. The b service is $550. I want the trans fluid and filter [if it has one] changed. Thats $570. To change differential fluid is $199. God forbid they find anything else wrong. I skipped the recommended spark plug change at $600 and air filter at $175 as cars seems to run fine. Plan on doing some maintenance myself but wanted to get off to a good start while i learn more about the car. The dealer is in Amityville, Long Island, New York. Do these sound like typical prices? Is a tube of Prep H included?

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,814 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Hi and welcome from St Augustine FL have fun and enjoy the ride. That said the prices look pretty much like the ones I get from my dealer in Orange Park FL. I still take my 2012 there for service. I might pay a few dollars more but I'm pretty confident the work completed is done right. I do keep a check on MB recommended and dealer recommended as the latter can add up quickly...

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome from St Augustine FL have fun and enjoy the ride. That said the prices look pretty much like the ones I get from my dealer in Orange Park FL. I still take my 2012 there for service. I might pay a few dollars more but I'm pretty confident the work completed is done right. I do keep a check on MB recommended and dealer recommended as the latter can add up quickly...

Thanks for the info. After getting past the sticker shock i'll be ok. I tell myself i'll only be driving about 3k miles a year so once past this big bill things will settle down. I intend to do the simple stuff like oil changes myself and look for a good independant shop. I may use the dealer if their work is top notch, like you said sometimes paying more is worth it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I might pay a few dollars more but I'm pretty confident the work completed is done right.
Whoa, is that misplaced trust! After being demonstrably raked over by two other dealers, I took my SLC 43 to a third dealer for its first service. Didn't change the oil filter, as verified by another dealer (cycling through them now). Guess they thought since it's hidden, I wouldn't look. Holder covered with dust, untouched. I've been dealing with this problem for decades. They all do it.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Whoa, is that misplaced trust! After being demonstrably raked over by two other dealers, I took my SLC 43 to a third dealer for its first service. Didn't change the oil filter, as verified by another dealer (cycling through them now). Guess they thought since it's hidden, I wouldn't look. Holder covered with dust, untouched. I've been dealing with this problem for decades. They all do it.
I seriously have not had the problems...with either of our MB's but I do keep an eye on them more or less.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This seems insane to me. At the prices they charge not doing the stated work is criminal. One thing i noticed is mine was the only car in line that had a number placed on top. Rep said it was for a certain mechanic. I assume he's the guy trained on amg's?

·
Registered
616 Posts
This seems insane to me. At the prices they charge not doing the stated work is criminal. One thing i noticed is mine was the only car in line that had a number placed on top. Rep said it was for a certain mechanic. I assume he's the guy trained on amg's?
Very true, investigators found one dealership in Jacksonville practicing this deception...but it was a Chevy store and is under new ownership...as I said I haven't had the problem, and my SLK does get the same mechanic when it's in for service...I should add I've only taken it in annually...

·
Registered
477 Posts
AMG:s are pretty expensive to own, that is clear. I have mine on Sevice "F" right now. It will land on 1.800 USD without transmission service, but with new spark plugs. And that is done at an independent shop:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
My indy shop is I think $150/hr, but cost of the service still about half MB dealer prices. I hate to say how common it is that older 55's have pending service that hasn't been done. First owner likely does all the normal dealer service to keep up the warranty, then the second owner maybe starts out good, but quickly shifts to cutting all possible corners and never uses the dealer. Some things you have to go to a dealer, but most of the time I trust our Indy to do BETTER work than even the best dealer in the area. What I don't trust at all are the cheap oil change places, and generic garages.

Sad truth on all makes of weekend fun cars, aka expensive to own older low mileage cars, service can start feeling very optional since you don't have to depend on it to get to work on Monday.

Older cars I want to change all the fluids, flush the brakes and radiator, everything as a baseline.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Those prices look about right at dealerships.

What I hate about going to dealerships is they take forever even for the small stuff. I just found a great indy shop by my house, I want to build a long term relationship with them so I can take my car their for future repairs and services. I usually get better services at indy shops than Mercedes at much better price.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Plan on doing some maintenance myself but wanted to get off to a good start while i learn more about the car.
It sounds like you just want a thorough inspection from the dealer to avoid problems. Can’t you ask/pay the dealer to do the inspection only?

Changing oil filter (inspect the old filter by breaking of the round ends and stretching and inspecting the paper part), engine and diff oil is really easy. The air filters you can inspect (mine were so clean if did not change them)(do clean/vacuum everything before installing them again) before deciding to change them.

The transmission oil change I might leave to the dealer since it not so cheap and a little more tricky to do yourself.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just got back from dealer. Final breakdown Service B include engine oil and filter, brake fluid change and many checks=$569. Transmission service including oil and filter and parts including a MB7229 TRANSSVC [no idea what this is] at $239, total $569. Differential service [oil change], $239. Total bill with tax $1466.40 including a $111 discount for i don't know what. The big downer though is they found an oil leak on the rear main seal, cost to repair is $2351. As i see no oil under car even when running i assume its just a very small leak and i won't get it serviced unless it gets worse. The good part is according to the service advisor everyone that saw the car complimented it. Maybe when winter comes i'll have coolant system flushed and power steering fluid changed. Appreciate all the sound advice and commentents on this.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,814 Posts
Well just got back from dealer. Final breakdown Service B include engine oil and filter, brake fluid change and many checks=$569. Transmission service including oil and filter and parts including a MB7229 TRANSSVC [no idea what this is] at $239, total $569. Differential service [oil change], $239. Total bill with tax $1466.40 including a $111 discount for i don't know what. The big downer though is they found an oil leak on the rear main seal, cost to repair is $2351. As i see no oil under car even when running i assume its just a very small leak and i won't get it serviced unless it gets worse. The good part is according to the service advisor everyone that saw the car complimented it. Maybe when winter comes i'll have coolant system flushed and power steering fluid changed. Appreciate all the sound advice and commentents on this.
I covered rear main seal before with a member
you only can see that leak when that back pan is removed otherwise it just leaks into the pan

in 11 years i had it done twice
once under warranty, the other not

My price for rear main seal was $1263.87
parts $172.30

labor $1232...

disc -$140.43

·
Registered
619 Posts
...my SLK does get the same mechanic when it's in for service..
HOW? Here the turnover is like musical chairs but with hemorrhoids covered with ants. Workers jump back and forth between dealerships or disappear. I know this from MBCA members AND from tales they tell me about working elsewhere - "Oh yeah I used to work there. They don't know anything. That's why I came here." Maybe it's different there.

·
Registered
616 Posts
HOW? Here the turnover is like musical chairs but with hemorrhoids covered with ants. Workers jump back and forth between dealerships or disappear. I know this from MBCA members AND from tales they tell me about working elsewhere - "Oh yeah I used to work there. They don't know anything. That's why I came here." Maybe it's different there.
Glad I don't live where you do...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I covered rear main seal before with a member
you only can see that leak when that back pan is removed otherwise it just leaks into the pan

in 11 years i had it done twice
once under warranty, the other not

My price for rear main seal was $1263.87
parts $172.30

labor $1232...

disc -$140.43
Wow thats about half of what dealer wants. What pan does it leak into? It doesn't end up on the floor?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds like you just want a thorough inspection from the dealer to avoid problems. Can’t you ask/pay the dealer to do the inspection only?

Changing oil filter (inspect the old filter by breaking of the round ends and stretching and inspecting the paper part), engine and diff oil is really easy. The air filters you can inspect (mine were so clean if did not change them)(do clean/vacuum everything before installing them again) before deciding to change them.

The transmission oil change I might leave to the dealer since it not so cheap and a little more tricky to do yourself.
I checked with the dealer before i bought the car they wanted $450 to checkout the car. I didn't have time to set it up as the car wasn't local. The service B did most of the checkout and brake and oil change and some minor stuff for $652 so i went with that. It included a 'multi point inspection' for no charge.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts