Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 32 AMG in for an A service, which was on the pricey side; Also have the BAS ESP light on.

Came back with works needing to be done to the tune of €2453, some of which had only been done last year (replacement spark plugs).

€217 to replace a brake light switch and then re-check the bas-esp light :D 'esp light on, done diagnostics recommend brake light switch first for a start and re-test'

Also have an leak on the gearbox which needs sorting. I am taking it back to the previous stealership who did a b service for me on it. They will give it a second look over.

Still driving very well though. Hope everyone is enjoying the summer with their tops down.

Cheers,

RLander.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,799 Posts
Seems they're trying to make up for lost business using this tactic.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
The dealer is looking to keep your car in 100% shape and will point out items that are no 100%. You then have a choice of saying do it, or not do it. I take mine once a year for service "A" only. When they point these things out I say no. I either fix them myself or go to my indy who does it for half the price and some items do nothing depending on it. The dealer will tell you to replace items based purely on miles and age and not by condition. If not broken or a safety reason you might not do it.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,799 Posts
@Gbarringer100, normally I'd agree but change out plugs in a year? Seems more like they are throwing "parts darts" rather than determining the real reason(s).

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,981 Posts
Get the dealer to double check - when booking my upcoming B service I was originally quoted for gearbox oil etc. When I challenged this on the basis that it had been done last year I was told, "Not sure what is going on here with the system, let me correct that for you Sir".
ROFL .. points for trying :cool:

When I first got my 200, I took it in for a full service, check over etc. and got a phone call to say amongst other things that my aircon needed to be regassed, when I pointed out that it doesn't have aircon I got much the same reply that you had ;)

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,112 Posts
The hardest tasks for an owner, finding a good & honest garage.
The age and purpose of the car (& owner) should be considered when they list jobs.

If I am using the same garage and hear things like pads need replacing, I wonder.
If I get 'you probably have another 4k on those pads, but that'll be before your next service',
I have more faith in them.

Mine mentions the last time plugs were done and suggests monitoring unless I want them changing.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,419 Posts
The hardest tasks for an owner, finding a good & honest garage.
The age and purpose of the car (& owner) should be considered when they list jobs.

If I am using the same garage and hear things like pads need replacing, I wonder.
If I get 'you probably have another 4k on those pads, but that'll be before your next service',
I have more faith in them.

Mine mentions the last time plugs were done and suggests monitoring unless I want them changing.
When I took mine for A service, they gave me a report and a video where he checks things and reported that the front brake on inside the pads was getting near the point to replace. So I said no, and my indy put on new front ceramic pads for less than half MB price for their dust creating pads. Like others have said, sometimes the records that the dealership is looking at are not up to date, so they do not know items replaced a short time ago. Maybe work done DIY or by an indy who does not record stuff that MB or other places might not see. Just carfax does not get all repairs and services completed.

·
Registered 2008 SLK280
569 Posts
Many years ago I was in the parts department of a different make to MB. One of the mechanics went up to one of the parts people with a handful of new spark plugs. He said to the parts guy 'I did not need to use these can I swap them for a set for a another model.

My conclusion from that chat was that the person who was having their car serviced was paying for a new set of plugs that would be going in to either the mechanics car or one of his private job cars.

Remember, again years ago, that one of the consumer protection TV programmes marked certain parts on a car and then put it in to garages to be serviced. Some of the garages charged for parts replaced but when checked they were still the marked parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts