Mercedes SLK World banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Eye Catcher

Hi Dave, now that is a seriously nice looking ride, hope you get another summer like the one we have just had.

I have finished the restoration on my 1954 Royal Enfield am now working on my latest purchase A Honda CX500, all good fun and as you say once a biker always a biker.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,259 Posts
There are also some good assessment schemes run by ex police riders (or at least there was 7 years ago when I gave up bikes) that will show you where you’re making any mistakes and teach you how to ride the bike to get the most enjoyment whist staying as safe as possible.
Their opening line was ‘when man invented the motorcycle, God rewarded him by inventing corners’ lol.
They used to have ads in MCN and the like.
I did a couple over the years and they open your eyes to the fact that there are no better riders than police. What they can do with a bike like a pan or a GS will embarrass most of the weekend warriors (power rangers as we used to call them) who turn into Valentino Rossi wannabes every sunny Sunday in the summer.
I actually saw an ex cop ride a Guzzi around the outside of 2 of them who were trying to get their knee sliders on the floor on a roundabout and the most embarrassing thing for them was that he waved at them mid manoeuvre.....they soon turned off at the next junction.
Bikesafe and it is worth the time. Even with cuts it is still happening around the country.
And whilst the training has a serious goal, the officers that run it are bikers.
Makes the observed ride 'interesting'.
They also explain why they go after certain driver failures more than others.

Solid white lines is a favourite.

We are lucky locally.
The Fire Brigade does a course that I keep planning to get to.
https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/firebike
Bikerdown: https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/biker-down
Don't know if other areas have something similar.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Bikesafe and it is worth the time. Even with cuts it is still happening around the country.
And whilst the training has a serious goal, the officers that run it are bikers.
Makes the observed ride 'interesting'.
They also explain why they go after certain driver failures more than others.

Solid white lines is a favourite.

We are lucky locally.
The Fire Brigade does a course that I keep planning to get to.
https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/firebike
Bikerdown: https://www.cheshirefire.gov.uk/public-safety/road-safety/biker-down
Don't know if other areas have something similar.
Quite a few area's do road safety and biker courses, the biker down is a brilliant course well worth attending if you get the chance.:smile:

·
AND MABEL
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Entered Red Mist in The Tribe Glasgow's first rally / bike show at the weekend. Spent two nights camping :surprise: at Lochwinnoch. The weather was quite kind. Sunny on Friday, but coming on to rain late on Saturday afternoon :crying:. Absolutely chucked it down through the night and into Sunday morning causing some local roads to be flooded, but relented and actually stopped in time for my ride home. :smile: A bar, a function room/bar for the bands to play in, real toilets, showers, good food from the catering vans, and flat grass to camp on made it a great venue for the event. :tu:

Red Mist received some complimentary comments over the weekend with suggestions ranging from it could win best paint job or best hard tail, to best custom bike, so I was naturally delighted with the response I got and was pleased I'd bitten the proverbial and entered it. :smile: The drink was cheap, the company excellent craic, and I must confess to getting more than slightly inebriated >:D, so I'm afraid I didn't take as many pics as I should have done. :frown: (Sorry @Bluebadger)

The show entries were judged by the Blue Angels who aren't the easiest guys to please, and, as there were trikes, scooters, café racers, classics, custom and rat bikes entered (even a 125 that a lass had ridden up from Sunderland on!), their task was not enviable.

The results were finally announced on Saturday evening, and although, as had been suggested, I didn't get best hardtail, paint job, or custom bike, I was truly surprised when it was announced that I'd won The Best In Show trophy! :surprise:

My overall impressions of the event are that I met some great people, saw (and heard) some beautiful bikes, and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. :tu:

I'm sure that next years event will be even bigger and I'll look forward to being there. :smile:

Here are a few pics I did manage to take ....

1 The hand was taken after a wee polishing session before leaving for the show.
2 Red Mist shows the result of said polishing session.
3 My accommodation for the weekend.
4 - 7 some braw looking trikes.
8 This one had more exhaust tips than Mabel!

Attachments

·
AND MABEL
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
More pics ….

1 - 3 Some great artwork on these scooters. Loved the Rab C string vest seat cover! :grin: The Crazy Frog won best scooter.
4 A lovely wee café racer
5 I've always had a soft spot for Triumphs
6 A tidy CB1300
7 This Harley was immaculate.

Attachments

·
AND MABEL
13,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Last of my pics …

1 This Z900 was immaculate for it's 40+ years.
2 Another spotless Harley
3 - 4 Loved this bike. Bored out to 1170cc and great paint detail.
5 - 6 Winner of 62 show awards over 19 years, this bike was designed and built by it's owner. Awesome machine.
7 Red Mist sparling in the sun.
8 The trophy going on my shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also share the love of riding on 2 wheels.
Nothing compares!
Although I have never had a Harley, they look and sound great.
But the sound of the riceburners with 4 cylinders and a good performance exhaust
is hard to beat in my book
Safe riding for everyone!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts