Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is interesting or correct to post, but I thought I would do a running thread as I step by step bring this merc back to its former glory!! (Although my jaguar is sulking because of all the attention I'm giving to the merc). This morning I noticed the washer jets weren't working so I stripped the water bottle out after checking the fuses were ok and tested the pump after some head scratching found a pump on Ebay. Whilst the arch trim was out I decided to tackle the rust on the front arch to make it more presentable until a replacement wing is fitted, and as the calipers were sorry looking too opted to wire brush them and give them a nice glossy black finish. Next job is going to be a full leather treatment, interior paint for the centre console and door grips.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,956 Posts
If you are able to post pics and detailed instructions of what you are doing, we will move this thread to DIY. Otherwise, it will stay here.

Hope you can do the pics/description/instructions (y)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't take any pics for the jobs today but I'll do a little photo collage for when I install the new pump and remount the washer fluid reservoir, and I still have the the rear calipers to paint too 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣 every time I do one job I find something else that needs fixing

·
11,956 Posts
Didn't take any pics for the jobs today but I'll do a little photo collage for when I install the new pump and remount the washer fluid reservoir, and I still have the the rear calipers to paint too 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣 every time I do one job I find something else that needs fixing
Do that reservoir post (and any others) in a NEW thread with pics/how-to's so it can be posted in DIY, not this one (y) .

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well this morning I wake up all excited about finishing the rear calipers and maybe refurbing the front grille to find the great british weather has scuppered my plans yet again÷🤯😤 but while I'm on here I'm in two minds whether to go for gloss black or satin finish on the grille, what's your feelings guys?

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Here is Gloss on my Lazulithe Blue Car if it helps ................

Personally IMHO it would look better Satin Black, or even Body Colour, I might try that when I get to the Body Resto stage likely next winter ;)

The Car now has Stainless Roll Bars, since that photo ;)

M113 V8 5.0 Litre going in it right now ;)
I'm currently refinishing Calipers, Satin Black with Brembo Logos, (the fronts at least are Brembo Calipers), mine is likely getting the 330mm Front and 300mm Rear Vented Discs and W220 S Class Calipers upgrade this weekend, before the Engine goes in soon, I'm waiting on a few bitties for the V8 Engine before I drop that in the 'ole :D

HTH,

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well having some time off work I find myself obsessing about what I can get done to the slk, the grille has been done and now I'm waiting for a dry day for the calipers on the rear and whilst the bonnet was up I noticed how tatty the covering sitting below the windscreen wipers looks, if back to black dont sort it I'm feeling spray can mania again

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
Back to black or similar, don't paint it, it'll peel ;)

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,742 Posts
No "proberlermo" buddy, any time ;)

It is possible to paint plastics, but you need to use an "Adhesion Promoter" and ideally proper 2k primer then paint, all with Pro HVLP Spray Guns, Rattle Cans just don't last on Plastics ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just seen a set of smoked angel eye led headlights on sale on ebay has anyone tried these yet ? are they worth investing in ? And more importantly anyone know if they work ok and canbus error free etc

·
11,956 Posts
Just seen a set of smoked angel eye led headlights on sale on ebay has anyone tried these yet ? are they worth investing in ? And more importantly anyone know if they work ok and canbus error free etc
You might get more bites if this was a new thread. I can move it if you want (just don't make a new thread).

In any case, have you checked our sponsor?

·
11,956 Posts
Dunno. They have a "contact us":

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well the weather is still dreadful, so all I've done today is replace the wheel hub caps with nice new 75mm shiny ones washer bottle reservoir now refitted and 2 new front wings ordered. Console paint and leather dye for the steering wheel being delivered tuesday, all in all once the front end is resprayed and new headlights fitted I hope I will have a near perfect slk to play with for the summer, just trying not to think about how much money I'm spending #needtokeepforever #&nottellthewife
howmuchiv'espent

1 - 18 of 18 Posts