Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new member, Allen. I've got a 2001 SLK320, purchased over ten years ago. Only 38K miles. Only drive it in sunny weather in Washington. Last year it would start, then the next week it wouldn't start, then the next week it would start. It's been many months now and it simply won't crank. All the lights on the dash go on, checks for systems shows that each is accomplished and lights go out. It has a new battery, last year, fuel, but I'm not sure whether the fuel pump works... Where should I start...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,460 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,287 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is normally open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
New members are welcome to enter (and they win too!).

Entry is open for the 2018 March Ride of The Month.
PLEASE NOTE :- Entry closes on 15th March.​

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/354330-links-toparts-assemblies-technical-data-locations-parts-slks.html
https://slk-links.neocities.org/ Includes diy videos.

A brief guide to the forum and how to get the best from it:
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/439993-new-wondering-what-do.html

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads under the pic below.

WA locals: U.S. West Region - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Although your battery was new last year, it depends on usage whether it is still ok.
The SLK needs a great battery, not a good one.
I'd start there, with a slow trickle charge.
Using the roof without the engine running can eat up power.
Standing for 3 weeks can drain a perfect battery.
Short trips, heater, heated seats all play a part.

The intermittent nature could be any of the 3 items you are thinking of.

Our experts will chime in soon.

@Mn car guy
@efair
@stu32
@savcom
@Turdo2
@Padgett

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,206 Posts
Hi Allen, welcome from Canada :smile:

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,789 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

Won’t start more details please.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,933 Posts
It *sounds* like the issues I had when my K40 went bad. If so, that's a relatively easy fix if you're a DIYer. But before we jump to conclusions, as others have said, do you have any more information about the symptoms?

Oh - and welcome to the forum, by the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To those who asked for more details, the key turns to the start position, and nothing occurs... I hear a faint click, then nothing, more like an electric relay, and not a failed starter solenoid... the starter motor does not spin, nor does it engage the flywheel. Then, the engine cooling fan starts and runs at high speed. I purchased and installed a new exact replacement battery, last summer from MB, and have kept it connected to a Battery Tender, so I've plenty of power. I replaced the crankcase position sensor. I have checked out the electrical module which includes the relays for the fuel pump... and saw no issues with soldering, or cold soldering spots. I've tried both my key sets, and have replace their batteries too. When inserted and turned to the first position all checks seem to be carried out, as each system's light goes out, like they always have. I get no messages in the dash. Should I go on?

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,437 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. Once you can get back up and running check out the SLK NW Group under the clubs section of the forum. They are based out of the Seattle area and meet often. Enjoy the forum and the top down driving.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi Allen, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG & 2006 Kleemann 55K S8
916 Posts
Welcome! The first thing I would check is the wires to the starter. It certainly sounds like you have a poor connection either at the battery or the starter. The click is likely the solenoid on the starter, but it isn't getting enough power to turn the engine over. You can also check this by putting a volt meter on the starter connections right on the starter and have someone try to start the car. If the voltage drops way down then you have a connection/battery issue.

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,933 Posts
To those who asked for more details, the key turns to the start position, and nothing occurs... I hear a faint click, then nothing, more like an electric relay, and not a failed starter solenoid... the starter motor does not spin, nor does it engage the flywheel. Then, the engine cooling fan starts and runs at high speed. I purchased and installed a new exact replacement battery, last summer from MB, and have kept it connected to a Battery Tender, so I've plenty of power. I replaced the crankcase position sensor. I have checked out the electrical module which includes the relays for the fuel pump... and saw no issues with soldering, or cold soldering spots. I've tried both my key sets, and have replace their batteries too. When inserted and turned to the first position all checks seem to be carried out, as each system's light goes out, like they always have. I get no messages in the dash. Should I go on?
Like I said: Sounds like my issues with the K40. (particularly the fan running at full speed). Don't try and look at the soldered joints - re-solder them anyway. Use a good, high-power iron (say 35W-50W) and go over each of the usual pads. Some bad joints may be microscopic in nature and invisible to the naked eye.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK200
382 Posts

Hi
Good day

The best method to find out the problem is:

get a jump start cable, connect on end to the positive terminal of the battery
connect the other end to the starter motor
(but you must get under the car to look for the starter)

If the starter turn & crank your engine
then it is most likely
solenoid or bad connection
or a bad relay (which rarely happen)
or your ignition switch

thank you & have a nice day

1 - 20 of 20 Posts