Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is about my Caterham guys/gals.
My Caterham is giving me grief and its really doing my head in. Thye starter motor seems to not be working.
Its a push button start, so turn the key and push the button, then a slight click and nothing!!!!!!!!!!! I can hear the electric fuel pump working to feed the plugs. its annoying me beyond belief especially as last weekend was so sunny and perfect for a rake!

·
Registered
303 Posts
A Caterham!!!! You are a true enthusiast no doubt :)...You will probably need an electrician to rebuild the starter motor. Can you remove it yourself??? If you could remove it and feed it some 12v you could establish whether it is the source of your problems or not.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only assume it is tha problem. it is hard to get an electrician up to my house as i tried but they are always busy. i can't remove it myself no, im not very technical like that im afraid, i wouldn't know where to look.

i am a driving enthusiast yes, absolutely adore just going out and driving.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can you look out for a clicking noise, when you press the ignition button?
The starter motor has a kind of tooth that rotates sharply in order to start the engine. If the starter motor is fault,well you get the picture :)...
Once you make sure that gas and a spark is available to the engine, the starter motor is a good place to start . What kind of engine does your Caterham have??

Caterhams,along with Lotuses are true driver's cars. Composure , feedback and balance are much more valued in these cars than horsepower...:)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you look out for a clicking noise, when you press the ignition button?
The starter motor has a kind of tooth that rotates sharply in order to start the engine. If the starter motor is fault,well you get the picture :)...
Once you make sure that gas and a spark is available to the engine, the starter motor is a good place to start . What kind of engine does your Caterham have??

Caterhams,along with Lotuses are true driver's cars. Composure , feedback and balance are much more valued in these cars than horsepower...:)
thanks ierax, that info has helped me. i will get a good look at it with a friend of mine who is a mechanic.
it is a 1.8 ktec engine. it is a roadpsort sv x-power. 180bhp. its great fun to drive and really does reward you when pushing it on properly. if anyone is considering buying one, i would recommend this.

D

·
0 Posts
If its just a click then the start relay is working OK so it has to be either the feed to the starter or the unit itself you would normally hear the unit running but then fail to fire the engine if you have a spark or fuel problem.

If your sure all the obvious things are OK battery voltage and stuff then like ierax says direct 12V to the starter with it out of the car if it works fine then move onto the wiring if its weak then it could be the added resistance of the motor has grown too much for it

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
time to call in the experts i think..over my head.
thanks DAn and ierax, useful knowledge as usual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts