Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
No idea :(
I bought the car back in 2013 and not had any water leaks or spillages on that side

**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
Indeed, the initial post states there is a "Start Error" message in his dash.
Oooooops :eek: Thanks Rick for pointing that out to me (y) (y) (y)

Ok so somehow I missed that DOH !!
Not surprising really considering everything that is and has been going on in my life for the last few months ;)

So yes, the only time a "Start Error" appears is when there is an issue with "Drive Authorisation" ......... Immobiliser ;)

Note that some Cars don't actually put that message on Dash Cluster, so if someone is reading this with same symptoms but there Car isn't displaying it they could still have a Drive Auth issue ;)

Every issue with this that I've had will usually go away without anything needed resetting once the Fault is fixed ;)

Next thing, the fact that OP has picked up a code related to Drive Auth strongly suggests the issue lies with Key or Key Reader or DAS / RF Module, not ME 2.8 ..............
Reason I say that is that nothing other than SDS can tell what is going on in DAS / RF so the whatever Code Reader will be getting that info from ME 2.8,i.e. ME 2.8 is not getting Drive Auth from Das / RF ;)

How I would proceed is a quick check that connectors to ME are not damp / corroded,especially the connector with the two CAN lines, the Drive Auth is transmitted via the CAN lines from DAS / RF to ME 2.8.

After that and especially bearing in mind water seems to have got to the Lighting Module it is now worth removing Dash Panels and Cluster to see if the Wiring to the DAS / RF Module has got wet, there are CAN Connections there (obviously) which may be wet and preventing Drive Auth Signal Comm between ME and DAS / RF ;)

SDS should be able to tell us which of the 3 items is bad, but as above check all the connections first if no SDS ;)

HTH and apologies for mis direction ;)

Reactions: M4rCu5

I don't think the Light Module is, CAN Bus Wiring is in the Wiring Diagrams, it's fairly simple compared to some MB's, there is a private body CAN which is soley used by PSE and CCM, then there is Powertrain CAN which amongst others is ME, TCU, ICM, Shifter, ABS/ESP/BAS and DAS / RF modules ;)

I'm almost certain the Lighting module is purely controlling all lighting and it is anti-social so doesn't talk to anyone else :D

The fact that water has got into the lighting module kinda suggests to me that it could have got to ICM, DAS / RF and various wiring plugs either directly or via evaporation from behind carpets, as all those items are in the same vicinity ;)

If via evaporation it can also get into the Fuse Boxes as well ;)

Reactions: jbanks15

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello there
Long story, but I'm just getting back to fixing our beloved SLK
Can I ask please, where on our UK 1999 SLK 230 R170, will I find the N3/10, which I understand is the front SAM please?
Thanks guys
Trev

R170 Does not have any SAM Units ;)

I do believe that the Module you are referring to is the Engine ECU. That is from Memory, as I don't have time to go boot up an SDS System to look up N3/10 right now ;)

It is in the Equipment box beside the Battery, so assuming (as you are UK), that your car is RHD then it will be in the Left (passenger) side Equipment Box ;)

Are you certain (i.e. verified with SDS) that it is the ECU which is the problematic part ;)

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

"Fault in DAS to engine control module (N3/10)"
Firstly, that would indicate DAS / RF Module, Key or Key Reader Ring, (possibly an issue with the Powertrain CAN Bus) because it is saying that the ME (Motor ECU) is not recieving the DAS Drive Auth !! ....................

Secondly that is not from SDS, SDS allows the operator to check exactly which of the parts I listed are or are not issuing the Drive Auth, also would definitively prove if there was an issue with CAN Bus, i.e. a bunch of CAN Comm errors between many Modules.

You aren't gonna fix this by just chucking parts at it, and remember that any of the Theft relevant parts have to be matched to all the others, so in this case you can't just buy another Motor ECU and plug it in, the only Plug and play solution is a full set of Key(s), DAS / RF Module and ME ECU, all of which must have come from the exact same car, (i.e. they are matched).

HTH ;)

Yes Myk, the N3/10 is the ME ECU, and the N10/3 is the CCM (y)

In the picture the ME ECU does not have arrow, (N3/10) but the CCM (N10/3) does have an arrow ....................

FWIW the ME ECU (N3/10) is the one next to CCM, in your pic that is a V6 ECU and is the one with the little grey catches on its several plugs ;)

That encyclopaedia link is still a handy beast though.
(y) (y) (y)

Definitely, I was just clarifying for the OP as we had a right incident this morning on BW ;) Some guy has been battling an S Class with hard damping on the Air Struts for longer than I can remember ...............

Many moons ago I advised him to change the Airmatic module with a good used 拢30 Fleabay jobbie ...................

He came back, said he has done that but car is no different ...................... Everyone including Dealers and Indies are baffled .......................

Now, umpteen months later, and mucho mucho parts darts later it turns out the Module he replaced waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back was the ESP Module 馃ぃ

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update, in that the SLK now running

Once I was clear that the fault was in the immobiliser, I shipped the immobiliser box, key and ECU up Darren Winsley at ECU Decode Limited, who fixed it and got it back to me the very next day.

She just needs an MOT and a service and she will be ready to be back in action

Thanks to everyone here who helped me on my long journey, very much appreciated

Trev

Administrator (Canada)
Thanks for updating us/marked as Resolved BUT if the same problem resurfaces, please return to THIS thread (do NOT create a new one) and we will update accordingly (y)

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230K
I don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier either way I'm glad it's sorted, I'm curious do you know what Darren sit to make it work again? Also did you try another ECU or was it just case of narrow down the culprit?

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier either way I'm glad it's sorted, I'm curious do you know what Darren sit to make it work again? Also did you try another ECU or was it just case of narrow down the culprit?
Hello Alex

Yes, I tried not one, but 2 ECU kits from car breakers, both having stated all parts from same car and functional, but once installed returned the same start error. I ran the code reader on the 2nd unit and it returned the P1570 error. I should have used the code reader on the first unit before I put everything back together, but reluctant to do that now

Darren said the results of putting it on his rig was that the software on the DAS was corrupt which resulted in it not sending the correct code to the ECU to enable start, but rather than risk a further occurrence, I asked him to bypass the immobiliser

Hope that makes sense
Trev

*Premium Member
1999 SLK230K
Hello Alex

Yes, I tried not one, but 2 ECU kits from car breakers, both having stated all parts from same car and functional, but once installed returned the same start error. I ran the code reader on the 2nd unit and it returned the P1570 error. I should have used the code reader on the first unit before I put everything back together, but reluctant to do that now

Darren said the results of putting it on his rig was that the software on the DAS was corrupt which resulted in it not sending the correct code to the ECU to enable start, but rather than risk a further occurrence, I asked him to bypass the immobiliser

Hope that makes sense
Trev
Oh no that makes sense thank you for getting back to me, these cars can provide a great headache when they go wrong electronically looks like you had quite the ordeal with it. So when you changed the ECU did you change the DAS box that goes with it or just swap the ECU and key? Occasionally my buddies Slk keep having a intermittent key issue.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts