Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
13 Posts
Hi, I have a 2001 320SLK Auto that was working but now has the "Start Error" message

So far this is what I've done;
Done some research,
bought a new battery - it kinda needed it, £74
Bought a Autolink AL519 OBDII scan tool - no codes to read?!? Anyway, £58 I think it was
pulled out the K40 module, thought I'd found a dry solder joint, blobbed a bit of solder on, hadn't worked
just had relays checked and all is OK., £62.40

So work does work is; the central locking, gear selector, um, horn, tyres still have air, but they'll need replacing, and the roof - lets face it, it's still worth having just for that :smile:

Wants next on the list to check? Or do I have to lug it to the closest useless by reputation Merc Dealer?

Most suggestions considered, although I have tried turning it off and on again.....a lot

Dan

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,232 Posts
Found this on another site:

If you often get the following error: "Start Error" displayed on your Instrument Cluster Mileage display after turning the key to try to start the engine, you may have a known problem with your DAS Control Module.

I was having the latter problem, and the dealer found that the DAS Control Module was shorting/failing intermitently. Sometimes I would get the start error message and no crank, and sometimes my ML will start and then die immediately.

You need to take both keys, since they need to get programmed/re-sync.

Reactions: Dan Yeomans

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
yep. sounds like a immobilizer/can-bus wiring issue.

I think it could also be the ring around ignition cylinder.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,748 Posts
Found this on another site:

See post above, Len. :tu:

Dan, best to quote or mention when you want someone's attention.

I've quoted Len.

To mention
Either, place @ in front of username eg @Dan Yeomans
Or wrap thus [MENTlON]Dan Yeomans[/MENTlON]
Remember to use exact username and include spaces.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,232 Posts
Thanks LeonardoDB,
Just so I'm not being too daft....just the keys to dealer?
I'm just guessing but I would think that the keys and the car as the module is in the car :wink:

Someone here should chime in or if not, just call your dealer/indy, describe the issue and see what they say.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Try the usual culprits, fuses 35 and 37 in the under bonnet fuse box. They provide power to the DAS module and have been known to get dirty/poor connection. Remove the 2 fuses and give them and the holder a clean. Hopefully when you put them back it will work.

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just guessing but I would think that the keys and the car as the module is in the car :wink:

Someone here should chime in or if not, just call your dealer/indy, describe the issue and see what they say.
I'd would think so too, thanks for your reply

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the usual culprits, fuses 35 and 37 in the under bonnet fuse box. They provide power to the DAS module and have been known to get dirty/poor connection. Remove the 2 fuses and give them and the holder a clean. Hopefully when you put them back it will work.
Many thanks, I'll try it now - it's what Bank Holidays are for ;) .....or actually driving

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu, it just may be a coincidence after having the K40 relays checked and him telling me that the key has to go straight from in, to turn (which I doubt - as it has been working) BUT I did take the fuses out seemed OK, scratched them a bit, and you effin' believe after 3 months the beauty has started, driven - still does a quick 100 down the straight (just form diagnostic purposes) >:D

Not only that started a further 5 times. Owe you a pint :Beer:

& Many thanks to the forum/site in general

·
Registered
846 Posts
Great to hear all it's back on form and just in time for the summer. Put that roof to work now. :tu:
Perhaps "Sarge" can put resolved on this one @jbanks15

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts
Great to hear all it's back on form and just in time for the summer. Put that roof to work now. :tu:
Perhaps "Sarge" can put resolved on this one @jbanks15
As you command....2 'm's in this command
Only 1 'm' in the other Comand :D

·
Registered 2004 SLK32 AMG
3 Posts
This worked for me as well on my 2004 SLK32 AMG.
My scenario:
I only occasionally drive my SLK. I had recently washed it and cleaned it up to drive to work. Made it to work with no issues. Went to lunch with no issues. Came out after work and the fob wouldn't unlock the doors. Used the key to enter the car (and set off the alarm).
Put the key in the ignition, dash lite up like normal, but no starter response at all. Noticed the "Start Error" message. Came back the next day with tools and info from the forum. Popped the hood (alarm again). Pulled the 35 and 37 fuses. Neither was blown, but I scrapped them up with some sandpaper and reinstalled them. I also pulled the 9 fuse thinking it would keep the alarm from going off again (duh, alarm set of again). Replaced and hopped in the car. Put the key in the ignition, mumbled a prayer, and she started right up. I did have to reprogram the key to get the door locks operational again.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
6 Posts
Hi everyone, i'm having the same issue as original poster. Getting Start error on dash. No crank or turn over. If i disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect; the car turn over 3 times and promptly stopped. After that, no crank or turn over again.
Checked 35 and 37 fuses, seemed fine. Even swapped with different ones.
One thing does stand out to me is that my alarm doesn't seem to triggered as the security caution in anyways. Thinking some security is locked/blocking the car to start.
Any ideas/inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks much

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
2,098 Posts
Hi everyone, i'm having the same issue as original poster. Getting Start error on dash. No crank or turn over. If i disconnect the battery for a while and reconnect; the car turn over 3 times and promptly stopped. After that, no crank or turn over again.
Checked 35 and 37 fuses, seemed fine. Even swapped with different ones.
One thing does stand out to me is that my alarm doesn't seem to triggered as the security caution in anyways. Thinking some security is locked/blocking the car to start.
Any ideas/inputs would be appreciated.

Thanks much

@eternityfaithzz

Hi and Welcome

ref. to - THIS THREAD - as it's currently ongoing ;)

HTH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.