Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, for the past few days I have been having a problem with starting my car. The starter will click but won't turn and the display shows a START ERROR.

The battery is good, and the connections are good. I replaced the starter thinking it was the problem, but still the same.

Before the problem I had small issues like the radio would go out out of nowhere, the starter would sometimes start but now it won't at all. When I turn the ignition to start position, the lights don't even go dim.

The keyfob works, it will flash the lights when arming and disarming, but won't lock/unlock. There are no other errors on the display besides the START ERROR.

If I Push the car and pop it into gear, it will start that way. I checked all connections, all fuses.

Is there anything else I can do?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
You say battery is good. how do you know? has it been tested? you could have bad cell or cells
the slk needs a great battery, not a good one. what is starting voltage?
needs to be 12.3 or higher usually

·
Founding Member 2006
108,893 Posts
then one thing out of the way! :D
fuses been checked?
there might be a wire that is grounded somewhere
the experts will chime in

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
239 Posts
Speaking from personal experience if 'start Error' is showing and battery is good you probably have a failed DAS (driver authorisation system).
This is a piece of electronics which receives a signal from the transponder ring on the ignition switch to confirm the Key is linked to the car and then allows the engine ECU to send power to the starter motor. The DAS is an MB dealer only supply and fit as it has to be coded to the car and linked to the key fobs and the ECU. I was quoted over £2,200 to have this done.
I solved this by getting an ECU, DAS and key fobs from another car (same engine/year) from a breaker. Paid £180 for the bits and probably took a day to swap everything out, stripping out the dash (DAS is behind the dials) and changing the key blades from the old to the new fobs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.