Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Star Guard and Clay Barring

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Rorywquin 
#1 ·
Guys, I bought my SLK just over a year ago, and I have decided that now is the time that I should use a clay bar in the cleaning process.

Up to now, I have been using a wash, dry and MB creme product to care for the paintwork.

As part of the deal when I bought the car, the dealer included Star Guard paint protection in with the price, and very good it is too.

My question: will using a clay bar affect the Star Guard at all?

The clay I've chosen is a 'soft' Bilt Hamber clay, and it was chosen because it recommends using a water spray as a lubricant rather than a chemical detailer.

I've watched a coupe of videos on how to use the clay and so on, so I'm pretty sure that it isn't that difficult - but I am just a bit concerned about removing the Star Guard, something i don't want to happen.

Any help/advice appreciated.

John

See less See more
#3 ·
John
Using a clay bar will definitely remove the 'star guard'.
Are you sure ? Clay is supposed to pull off the tiny bits of fallout etc that stick to the clearcoat / paint / sealant.

People use it frequently on their cars and do not damage the coating. Loads of information on YouTube from detailing companies.

However, I stand to be corrected as I have not personally used one but......I have been "working" my two months notice (6 days to go :smile:) and have no work so have spent dozens of hours reading up on car paint protection, claying paintwork, sealants, waxes, shampoos etc etc etc.

@ the OP - take a look at the clay mitts that are now available, they seem to be gaining in popularity and are a lot quicker that a clay bar.

#7 ·
Drat! Now I wish I had seen that video before I bought the clay bar. I had seen an earlier video of theirs which showed me how to use the clay bar, but i didn't look at any of their other vids.

Lesson learned - do more research.

John

#9 ·
Drat! Now I wish I had seen that video before I bought the clay bar. I had seen an earlier video of theirs which showed me how to use the clay bar, but i didn't look at any of their other vids.

Lesson learned - do more research.

John
I suggest you watch a couple of the YouTube videos. One thing I have picked up is that clay holds onto the dirt while apparently, the mitt just pulls it off. In one video I saw the guy frequently rinses the area with a washmitt. Not sure if it is necessary but it cant do any harm and is still a lot easier/quicker than clay.

I'm now going to research the nano skin method - I have another 5 x 9 hour work days left to fill.:wink:

#5 ·
Much thanks to you two @TFP and @Rorywquin . I haven't quite decided what I'll do, though I am now thinking that I will buy a paint sealant anyway and apply it after using the clay bar. I'm sure it can't do any harm if the Star Guard stuff is still on, and it would work as a sealant if the Star Guard is removed by the clay bar. As I see it, it's a win-win.

Thanks again

John.

#10 ·
I use a Dodo Juice sponge clay pad, which can also be cleaned. Easy to use and really good.

My choice of sealant is Polish Angel Master Sealant. I use Autoglym Aqua Wax each time after washing the car. Both easy to apply with great results.

There are many good products available. But with so many, and so many different views, I found it confusing to start with.

#11 ·
There are many good products available. But with so many, and so many different views, I found it confusing to start with.
I agree. I came down to a product that I think will give me the best balance between, protection, longevity, ease of application and reputation. I've ordered a range of Carlack (Klasse in the USA) products.

Will experiment on my wife's MB before going onto mine.:wink:

#13 ·
#15 ·
I have never clay barred my car
7 years ago I had a detail guy come by for an estimate
we stood in front of my car just getting acquainted
then we started to talk business
Where is the car you want detailed he said?
I said we are standing in front of it
He said, you're kidding right?
He took out his claybar and showed me it after running it over my car.
Clay bar had nothing on it
He said I would be wasting my money and wasting his time

#14 ·
Sorry Len
I am put driving!

#23 ·
The more I read and view detailing, the more confused I get.

Fortunately I have a spare 350 to test bed :D

I've done a lot of research on detailing (while working my notice without any work to do) and agree that it is confusing. Every supplier tends to promote what they have (especially if they have surplus stock) and the enthusiasts naturally promote what they prefer (and opinions are like rectums >:D- we all have one).

The products are all pretty similar. Watching a lot of YouTube has helped me understand the process from compounding to remove deep swirls, polishing to remove light swirls and sealants / coatings/ protectants...... and routine maintenance of a beautiful shiny finish.

A lot also depends on how much time you want to invest - some people spend time every day :wink:(you know who you are).

I ended going for a synthetic sealant - longer lasting - (which apparently, is preferred for light paint vs natural wax based products which are preferred for dark paint in terms of the "look") that will keep the car protected for 6 months to a year and then I will clean the car as needed in between. There is also a massive middle ground between pure synthetics and pure waxes and companies like Swissvax even have pure waxes for over 200 quid for a small tub......maybe if I had the worlds rarest Ferrari.....

I had a friend who was a sales rep for industrial floor polishes (from a major American company that we all know) ( the floor polishing process is not unlike what is done by detailers on cars). A big hospital told him that they liked his company's top polish but they wanted something a little better than what was currently available.

Long story short, they changed the perfume and colour of the existing product, renamed it and charged more for it. The hospital was thrilled with the product.

There is a lot of smoke and mirrors going on to create consumer confusion between all the products........a bit like trying to Spec a new Mercedes:|

#22 ·
Best buy on Clay Bars

The Maguire's or Mothers sell 2 small clay bars for about $20 in their clay kits.
I purchased 5 huge clay bars for $16.90 including shipping. Just One bar is larger then both bars combined that come in their kits.
They are made by 3M and work great. Cut them in half for use and just use soapy water for lube, or straight water. Just fold over and kneed the bar if it gets dirty. This is like a lifetime supply. If you ever drop bar on pavement, throw away.

5x 3M Magic Clay Bar Car Truck Cleaning Remove Marks Detailing Wash Cleaner US | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.