Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there different versions of the Star? If so which one is the best choice for an 07 slk 280?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,400 Posts
Hardware wise is hard to tell, the Chinese clones are hit and miss especially the sd connect c4, c3 is okis, the quality is bad and the aftersale support is appalling.
If you go for c3 mux you need to run the software on WM and that is sloooooowww or you need a dell d630
If you go for c4 mux then you can install Mercedes-Benz Xentry OpenShell XDOS and use any laptop.
For your car, you need DAS ( you can use c3 or c4 ).

·
Registered
106 Posts
Beware, that most chinese c3 boxes have wrong voltage regulator part on one position.

Installed is a 8 volt part, where 5 volt would be correct.

Not rectifying this, you'll fry the c3 box in some time.

Albreit, there seems to be no reason whatsoever to torment oneself with a c3 and its pickiness on RS232 port.

Get a c4. It's more on today.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
Beware, that most chinese c3 boxes have wrong voltage regulator part on one position.

Installed is a 8 volt part, where 5 volt would be correct.

Not rectifying this, you'll fry the c3 box in some time.

Albreit, there seems to be no reason whatsoever to torment oneself with a c3 and its pickiness on RS232 port.

Get a c4. It's more on today.
I've had 2 C3's that had the correct voltage regulators from the box. But it's easy to check before hand and a 5V regulator is really cheap!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, the regulator is less-than-$1 part.

Thing is, though.. once you get used to using this wirelessly (only 1 cable, from c4 to OBD port) and to the idea that the VM stuff runs on anything x86-64 based as long as it has network connectivity, there's hardly going back anymore.

The lazy mechanic I am, DAS/xentry/Vediamo runs at a machine home, c4 is on home WiFi, and user clicks and views happen on android tablet :grin:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,433 Posts
I'm Technologically challenged. so C3 for me. plus it makes me feel extra cool when I get out my big cables and old "ex Mercedes laptop", or so I tell people.

Then I finish off my display by turning on the cars lights with this laptop - minds blown!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
2,223 Posts
I'm Technologically challenged. so C3 for me. plus it makes me feel extra cool when I get out my big cables and old "ex Mercedes laptop", or so I tell people.

Then I finish off my display by turning on the cars lights with this laptop - minds blown!
Technology challenged or not you have the important parts figured out!

·
4,400 Posts
Just out of curiosity, will a Dell 410 with a SSD drive work ? Can clone a 630 drive. Agree on C4.

ps would be amazed how much faster VMWare runs on an SSD.
If you have a c4 you can install a fresh xentry on dell 410 faster then any wm on ssd.

·
4,400 Posts
Yes, the regulator is less-than-$1 part.

Thing is, though.. once you get used to using this wirelessly (only 1 cable, from c4 to OBD port) and to the idea that the VM stuff runs on anything x86-64 based as long as it has network connectivity, there's hardly going back anymore.

The lazy mechanic I am, DAS/xentry/Vediamo runs at a machine home, c4 is on home WiFi, and user clicks and views happen on android tablet :grin:
I will not recommend flashing an ECU update wireless.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts