Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of Stainless Steel roll bars from Ebay. It took 3 weeks to get here from Germany, but they arrived in good shape. They were fitted right.
Installation was easy except for the flat trim pieces.
I still haven't figured how to get them in right. The directions are in German and tiny print.
If anyone has a way of getting them in. please let me know.

But they look great.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,510 Posts
I don't know how to install them (mine came with the car) but they'll look very nice. :tu:

Don't forget to post pics, please.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
They should be a direct bolt on part, what kind of a problem are you having with them? some pictures may also help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the "flat trim pieces" you mean are the bottom steel plate between the roll bar and finish, it should be easy. You use the existing outer trim piece from the existing roll bar set up. Should be self explanatory. New plate should even have matching cogs that fit into existing slots on existing trim.

If the "flat trim pieces" you mean are the rubber seal between new roll bars and new bottom steel plate, thats more difficult, but is do-able. My rubber seals on first inspection appeared to large and had no way of staying in place. How I remedied this was, twist the rubber seal inside out and slowly cut a groove into the centre. I tried first a blade (exacto / very sharpe), but thus just cut a slice into the rubber and gave no "groove for the steel plate to sit in. Also very easy to "over cut" and slice right through the rubber. A hack saw blade was next try. It worked perfectly. Wouldn't cut right through by accident and was the perfect width, removing just enough rubber to form a groove for the plate to sit in. Just hold the rubber between thumb and finger and slowly "saw" a grove, rotating as you go.

Fitting the rubber seals onto the plate was tricky, patience is needed for it to stay in place. Now, sliding the roll bars in was hard but again, patience is needed. Several tries will be needed but, again, do-able. I rubbed a little wet hand soap on the roll bars to give a slippery surface that would dry up once finished.

Took me maybe an hour for all this. Removing all the pieces on the car to get to the roll bar attachment points took just as long. Be very careful removing the screw that are set into the body work. If they fall, they are gone.

Hope this helps. Search this board, I think there are instructions on how to install these, just cant remember where.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.