Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
14,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New front brake pads and discs going on on Friday. I ditched the idea of ceramic pads and am going for oem parts. :)
Good news .... Mabel got her new front pads and discs fitted today. :)

Bad news .... After my last visit, for a service, I'd noticed a white residue on the Alloygators after they had valeted her, which I pointed out to the service manager. He said it was just soap and would wash off.

After arriving home I was unable to clean it off and it had actually stained them. (see pics) When I pointed that out to the service manager on this visit, he said they'd look at it, but the guy who does the valeting denied it was down to him, and suggested it was something I'd done and walked away.

Good news .... Luckily, as the manager had seen it when I'd collected the car previously, he knew differently, and, after some discussion, has agreed for me to replace them and he'll refund me the cost on production of the invoice.

I believe that the staining was due to them using a strong wheel cleaner and letting it lie on the rims too long.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what would you recommend to clean the rims with to avoid this happening again?

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,153 Posts
valet? as in they wash your car?

·
14,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valet? as in they wash your car?
Yes Jeff. Wash car and vacuum interior. Also give it "health check". Tyre pressures, oil level (top up if required), windscreen wash top up, etc..

Can also just drop in when passing for the same service. It's free if your getting your services done by them.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,078 Posts
Thank goodness you spotted and pointed out the discoloration to the manager or you may have been screwed. I'd like to know what chemical was used. Keep us informed.

·
14,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank goodness you spotted and pointed out the discoloration to the manager or you may have been screwed. I'd like to know what chemical was used. Keep us informed.
I don't think I'll find out what caused it. Personally I believe it was an industrial strength alloy wheel cleaner that was left on too long before getting washed off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts