Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question (sorry I'm new).
Anyone have opinions on staggering or not.
My SLK has OEM 8" on back and 7" on front. The front rims have lacquer peeling
so I'm thinking about looking for better ones. Mostly I see (used) rims SLK rims in sets of 4 all same width. Are people swapping out of staggered set up for ease of rotation? Is this advisable? Anyone seen any pairs of 7" front rims?
Thx

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Its okay to be new.. ask any and every question you like :D we were ALL new here once :D hehe. There are *many* DIY wheel refurbished threads, and or posts about keeping your current rims and having them refurbished.

Search for wheel DIY
Rim DIY
Here is my favorite DIY wheel thread

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,339 Posts
If you read the manual if you use snow tires the manual says use the same size tire on all four corners. The offset is different also on your current wheels. Changing to one size tire and wheel on all corners can effect the handling of the car if you push it from the current set up of different sizes and offsets.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
The main reason any car has a staggered wheel/tire set-up is to induce understeer(more traction in the rear than the front), because understeer is "safer"(read slower). Having a "square" tire set-up will save the owner money, in that the tires can be truly rotated, front to back and corner to corner. With an alignment that has at least equal neg. camber, front and rear, the car can handle much better, IMO, BUT, one must have the ablility to drive a square set-up safely.

I have a set of 18"x8" wheels with Dunlop Star Spec tires if you're interested.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought that blasting and powder coating runs upwards of about $150 a rim? I could be wrong but I was hoping that maybe used rims might be a cheaper way to go.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I thought that blasting and powder coating runs upwards of about $150 a rim? I could be wrong but I was hoping that maybe used rims might be a cheaper way to go.
It's a lot less than that at our local powder coating place. Would be worth you getting a few quotes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts