Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my SRS Warning indicator illuminated for the better part of 6 months now. I was too worried about it because I thought it was merely a fluke considering that my entire dashboard went crazy momentarily upon starting my 2006 280. I turned the vehicle off and restarted with no issues save the now illuminated SRS Warning light.

So I finally sucked it up and took it to the local dealership to have it analyzed. I just got off the phone with them and they informed me that it had something to do with the seat belt coupler. Evidently it has a sensor in it that has gone out and is sending the signal to the dashboard.

My first question: Is this possible?

Second: Can it be fixed in my garage? (I am an accomplished mechanic and have already pulled out my seat once before, with the guidance from a poster here in SLK World, in a failed attempt to repair the seat heater. The failed part refers to the fact that the damage to the heating elements was too extensive to repair).

I am a little reluctant to pay $700 for something that I can repair myself.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I'm sure that I've read on the forum in the past that what you've described is possible, and if that's what their diagnostics are pointing to, then it may well be your issue. :(

I'm not sure whether it's something you can repair yourself or not... I'm sure someone else here will be able,to,offer an opinion on that though...

I think I've also read that if you have an SRS error, that it needs to be cleared (possibly using DAS/STAR equipment)... is it possible that you disconnected any of the orange connectors for your seat while you were attempting to resolve the seat heater issue? If you did, and if the battery was still connected at the time, then I'm sure I've read that that can cause an SRS error too.

I'm sure someone else with more experience will be along soon to offer more advice...

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SRS Warning Light/Seatbelt lock (MB171-860-08-69) replacement

So I just got off the phone with the local Mercedes dealer concerning the SRS Warning light that came on about six months ago when my dashboard went crazy. I turned the vehicle off and then back on and all the craziness dissolved with only the SRS light remaining. They told me that the light was a result of the seatbelt locking mechanism. It evidently has a defective sensor. Of course, the repair cost is exorbitant. The part alone (MB171-860-08-69) is quoted at $340.00. Is this something that seems as easy as I would think it to be to get fixed? Has anyone done this or does anyone know of a how to guide that can show me how? I found the part for $220 at SEAT BELT LOCK | Genuine Mercedes-Benz | 197-860-08-69 and I am ready to order the part and do this.

Last question: As they will likely charge me another $230 to check this again after I fix it, does anyone know of a location near Tacoma, Wa that can reset the SRS warning light after I repair this?

Thanks in advance.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
2,562 Posts
I'm sure that I've read on the forum in the past that what you've described is possible, and if that's what their diagnostics are pointing to, then it may well be your issue. :(

I'm not sure whether it's something you can repair yourself or not... I'm sure someone else here will be able,to,offer an opinion on that though...

I think I've also read that if you have an SRS error, that it needs to be cleared (possibly using DAS/STAR equipment)... is it possible that you disconnected any of the orange connectors for your seat while you were attempting to resolve the seat heater issue? If you did, and if the battery was still connected at the time, then I'm sure I've read that that can cause an SRS error too.

I'm sure someone else with more experience will be along soon to offer more advice...
Replacing the seat belt is not a big deal. Bolts holding both ends in place. Yes, the SRS does have to be reset. It can be done with DAS and I have also found that a Snapon scan tool will also be able to reset the light.

The advice here to make sure the battery is disconnected before disconnecting any of the yellow connectors under the seat is spot on. Otherwise, if the key is in the ignition and the battery is connected it will cause the SRS light to be set. Battery should be disconnected for 30 minutes prior to beginning work.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
You could do it yourself. The unit that the belt buckles into needs to be replaced. It is not a cheap items as it has a charge in it that goes off on impact that pulls the seat belt tight in a wreck. When in stalling make sure the wires going to it have a lot of slack. The problem is the wires are to short and put stress on the connection causing it to go bad.

·
*Premium Member
2019 SLC300
2,862 Posts
The SRS light might go out once the new part is installed. When I had the same problem when the seat was moved and no stress on the connection the light would go out. If seat was moved to far forward and up all the way the light would come on. Move the seat back and lowered it would go out. I had an indy to do the repair do not know if he did a reset or the light just went out with the new unit.

Good luck in the repair

·
Registered 2009 SLK55 AMG
33 Posts
I had this happen to me as well a while back. I took it to Mercedes and they told me something had to be replaced (harness??), and it was a fairly expensive fix so I opted not to have it fixed. When I picked up my car at the dealership, the SRS light was gone. My guess is something was just loose and they might have tightened it when they were looking for the problem which fixed the issue. The light hasn't come back on since!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.