Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 SLC300 with 8000KM. Lately when applying the brakes let’s say leading up to a red light, there is a squeal from the rear brakes. It does not squeal during hard braking. Has anyone with a newer SLC or SLK had any similar braking issues?
Before I get scolded by the “boss” I did a search and only found 3 and 4 year old posts on this subject.
Mike

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,930 Posts
No scold mike...but I will move this to the brakes section :D

·
Banned
330 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it, since the front brakes do all the work. Maybe the rears are complaining they are being left out in the braking department? :grin:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had exactly the same on my 2017 SLC43. It drove me mad and MB looked at when in for a recall fault and found no issue with the brakes. Didn’t do it under hard braking, just when slowing to a stop in traffic.

You don’t need to do anything except a few 60mph down to 10mph to delaminate the pads. I’m guessing you do quite a bit of stop start driving in traffic. OBVIOUSLY do this on a nice quiet road so you don’t get rear ended.

Since doing that on mine, it has not been back and the brakes are silent. I got the tip from a BMW site as it is very common on the M series cars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't worry about it, since the front brakes do all the work. Maybe the rears are complaining they are being left out in the braking department? :grin:
Re-booked a service appointment with my MB dealer. Hopefully with my insistence the problem can be resolved. Unfortunately my service appointment is 3 weeks from now. Will update then.

·
Premium member 2014 SLK200
2,015 Posts
As said above, it'll most likely be pads chattering in the calipers as a result of dust build up. I had exactly the same issue with my 6K miles 172 200. Initially booked it in as was still under warranty but considerable wait for an appointment so I thought about stripping them down and applying some CERATEC high melting point brake grease to the back of the pads but didn't have time. Frankly it was not only annoying, it was embarrassing too.
I am naturally light on the brakes so I tried the heavy braking method.
Cured the problem and, if I sense it starting to come back I just do a bit more heavy braking.
Seems to be a problem caused by low mileage/light use.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Re-booked a service appointment with my MB dealer. Hopefully with my insistence the problem can be resolved. Unfortunately my service appointment is 3 weeks from now. Will update then.
Seriously, all they need is a bit of action. Hard braking to take the lamination that has built up on the pads/discs is all it needs. Your car has performance brakes and they like to be treated mean, it keeps them keen :wink:

Since I did it on my 43, I have not had a peep out of them. Light braking is for Prius drivers >:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had exactly the same on my 2017 SLC43. It drove me mad and MB looked at when in for a recall fault and found no issue with the brakes. Didn’t do it under hard braking, just when slowing to a stop in traffic.

You don’t need to do anything except a few 60mph down to 10mph to delaminate the pads. I’m guessing you do quite a bit of stop start driving in traffic. OBVIOUSLY do this on a nice quiet road so you don’t get rear ended.

Since doing that on mine, it has not been back and the brakes are silent. I got the tip from a BMW site as it is very common on the M series cars.
Well after nearly 3 days of rain I finally got the SLC out and did as you have suggested. The squeal has disappeared! I hope for good. We’ll see after some normal driving/braking conditions. Thanks for suggestion.
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well after nearly 3 days of rain I finally got the SLC out and did as you have suggested. The squeal has disappeared! I hope for good. We’ll see after some normal driving/braking conditions. Thanks for suggestion.
Mike
If it does, just do it again :wink:

Mine has been over 1500 miles in all different driving conditions and they have been silent.

Happy to help my friend :grin:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's my experience with sqealing brakes.

I changed my front discs and pads back in April. Supplied by Europarts, I think the brand was Eicher. I carried out a bedding in procedure of a series of stops of increasing severity from increased speeds but in spite of this since installation the r/h brake has squealed really loudly when coming to a stop. I took the pads out and checked the shims and re-applied more copper grease but still the squealing persisted.
Today I swapped the pads from the left wheel to the right, but also put the outer pad from each wheel on the inside of the opposite wheel. I took the car out and ran through another bedding in session. This time the squeal has gone, at least for the 8 miles or so of the drive. If it returns I'll exchange the pads for a set of Brembos or similar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had Eicher pads for 2 days the braking is appalling with those pads and the noise..., change them with Brembo and all ok.
If you want them you can have them...4 piston caliper.
Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't fit them again by choice.
Where did you buy your Brembo pads?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,419 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
....... and after a 30 mile drive the squeal has returned :frown:
Looks like I'm going to have to switch to a better brand of pad. Not the end of the world, but I thought I'd fixed it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts