Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
What is the best method to stop creaks and squeaks.

When i have my roof up it makes noises. Mainly behind the sun visor and the flappy part that lifts up behind your head (plastic)

What method does everyone use to stop this???

·
Registered
37 Posts
The squeeks coming from the panel behind your head that lifts up is probably because the rubber bits pushing it up are gone. Those are located below the panel, viewable from inside the boot/trunk. There are a few rubber pieces around the metal where the panel comes down, pushing it up/making sure it doesnt touch the metal. When those are gone it rattles/squeekes. The panel itself is also from metal, not plastic.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1424868-list-slk-common-problems-2.html

Some very good pictures showing the rubber bits.

Make sure those are there or when missing, just buy some (pretty cheap). You can diagnose this problem by pushing down on the panel while driving on rough surfaces. The noise will go away :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have you tried greasing all the rubber seals around the roof? You can get rubber grease from the dealer or there is some fancy aerospace stuff some people use (cant remeber its name but I dont think you can easily get it in the UK). I use vasoline on mine and it seem to work just as well...rub it onto the header rail seal, the front end of the window seal where it hits the top of the windscreen, the one above the rear window and the flat faces at each end, and then the one at the bottom of the rear window that touches the boot. Leave it on for a few minutes and then wipe off any excess.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Have you tried greasing all the rubber seals around the roof? You can get rubber grease from the dealer or there is some fancy aerospace stuff some people use (cant remeber its name but I dont think you can easily get it in the UK).

+1

Not sure what is easier/less expensive to get in the UK. In the USA, I went to the local Honda Dealer and got a tube of the grease for lubing the S2000 rubber seals. Smeared the grease along my SLK32 rubber seals (windshield front and on the seals in the area of the rear window) and the front squeak/rattle went away completely. 75% of the rear squeaks went away, but I still get a little squeak from under the rear window. I might have missed a spot.

Link to some additional roof lubing suggestions:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-1-krytox.html

I used the Honda Shin Etsu silicone grease for the s2000 roof ($23.46 plus tax at Santa Monica CA, Honda).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.