Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys/Girls I have a late 2017 SLC 200 AMG line and the last few months have been getting to me. I love my car but the brakes are a joke. Its been into Mercedes 3 times now and they can't or can't be bothered to find the fault.

sometimes the brakes squeak extremely loud when coming to a halt and will then just disappear for a few miles and then start again. If they don't squeak upon slowing they have now started just squeaking when i go round corners or even just going straight with no foot even on the brake pedal. I have read on here before about heavy braking to de-glaze the pads, that works for about 5 mins then its back. Annoying as this isn't covered under warranty unless the caliper is at fault as pads and discs are not covered under warranty ( or so I'm told by my dealer ) . My dealer had the car for 3 days and told me they couldn't get a squeak even though i had taken a technician out who heard it clearly but for some reason they want to know exactly which wheel is at fault ( I assumed they would just strip front brakes down to investigate ( wrong !!! ). I am getting the brakes stripped and serviced at an independent garage now as my dealer want £134 just to strip and investigate ( once they found it to squeak ) before i can go any further.

Has anyone else had this fault with their AMG line SLC's ?? ( its got the calipers that have Mercedes Benz written on them )

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
1,883 Posts
Do they squeak when they are wet?

I'm guessing a build up of brake dust at the back of the pads causing them to 'chatter' in the caliper/keeper.
That being said, there shouldn't be any squeaking when simply driving straight or cornering without braking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes do squeak in the wet but not as bad, i get the straight line and corner squeak more than the slowing down squeak. It does not do it all the time which is proving hard to find the fault.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG Mystic Blue
3,532 Posts
I would change the pads or when you get the overhaul done get them changed. Save the old pads if there is plenty of life left in them. Double check all your wheel nuts are tight.
Are the Calipers of the the double piston type or are they a single piston and pivot type? If the latter the pivot could be seized preventing full and even contact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure what type the calipers are, thank you for the ideas . I have been looking into what are the best pads to put on as i had the same thought in regards to replacing them. Brembo seem to be the best option but don't know how much
OEM from mercedes are to be honest.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
965 Posts
Akebono (ceramic) is a good option many are putting on and finding to be excellent performers, as well as less brake dust.

BTW, how many miles are on your 2017 SLC200? Do you drive it daily or infrequently? What is your driving style? Aggressive or relaxed? Do you do mostly city stop_and_go, or get on motorways/freeways mostly? Just trying to get some context to your issue...

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG Mystic Blue
3,532 Posts
Not being disrespectful but you may have the cheaper pivot type Calipers on the rear?
My lads Fiesta had squeaky brakes even with new pads, the pivot was seized, lubricated and now no squeal. :grin:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi , yes its my daily driver. its 2017 with 12500 miles. Ill look into the ceramic pads if they can be purchased in the UK. I would not say I'm aggressive , generally pretty gentle unless i decide to have some fun. I would say 70% is driving to work but that is pretty varied driving conditions.

Does anyone know if i need to put the brakes into a strip down mode ( I've seen a r172 needing this for rear brake pad removal on youtube )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts