Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this my wheel bearings going bad? I've recently notice a squeaking noise from my front left wheel when I pull away from a light or am moving slowly with no brake applied. I know it could be any number of things, including a sticking brake caliper, but am wondering if one thing might be more likely than another.

Car is an 02 SLK320 with 86k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Is this my wheel bearings going bad? I've recently notice a squeaking noise from my front left wheel when I pull away from a light or am moving slowly with no brake applied. I know it could be any number of things, including a sticking brake caliper, but am wondering if one thing might be more likely than another.

Car is an 02 SLK320 with 86k miles on it.
Can be a bearing or smth else indeed. Jack up the car and shake the wheel by holding it "12 and 6 o'clock position and 9 and 3 o'clock". The wheel should be firm and have no play. But can also be a sticking caliper...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yo

Have the same issue with mine. Worse if it's been sitting a while. If it goes away after a while I would chalk it up to a slow caliper. I've changed the brake fluid and had the wheels checked. There doesn't seem to be an issue. As it goes away after a minute of driving and it isn't getting worse I don't care. You may try replacing brake fluid as I've heard condensation in the brake line can cause a slow caliper but it had no effect for me. Let me know if you find a resolution!

·
Registered 2011 SLK300
427 Posts
It could also be a stone that is caught between the rotor and the caliper or backing plate. Just one of many, many possibilities.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.