Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of bummed, the Spyder lights I bought are either the wrong ones or the box is missing parts. There is no ballast and the harness from the car does not fit the light. I am assuming the ballast did not get shipped. The light is 5011190 on Spyder website. Am I doing it wrong or should I just send these back? You can see the difference in the connectors.

The box had no kind of installation instructions in it, I find that hard to believe. No mention of what to do with these wires.

It's really too bad, I like the way they look.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,391 Posts
moving to r170 general discussion

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,765 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your car has the HID headlights you will just need an adapter. If it does not currently have HID then you will need the ballast kit.

Mine needed the ballast kit:

http://www.hidnation.com/kresults.html?y=1998&ma=MERCEDES-BENZ&mo=SLK&e=Base

The lights really update the car and look great!
The lights I bought are high and low beam HID. Stock the car did not have HID so I guess I need the ballasts. I would think Spyder would have mentioned that. What about the wires on the bottom of the assembly? What kit in the link did you buy? Do you have high and low HID?

Thanks for helping me with this.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The lights I bought are high and low beam HID. Stock the car did not have HID so I guess I need the ballasts. I would think Spyder would have mentioned that. What about the wires on the bottom of the assembly? What kit in the link did you buy? Do you have high and low HID?

Thanks for helping me with this.
That's quite normal for these lights. They come like that. Since yours is pre-facelift model (97-00) then you definitely need adapters for these. Contact the seller where you bought you lights from and tell them tou need an adapter. Some people reported that the seller supplied the harness. Otherwise it's around $40. Try to search on the forum or google. I'll try to search later.
Here's a picture of them on Benzworld forum:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r170-slk-class/126265d1178123204-projector-headlights-pre2k-adapters-02052007024_resize.jpg

The bottom wires are the wires for your Halo rings and one small t-10 bulb in the top middle as a city light function. You can wire them however you want. I wired halos to my running lights and the t-10 bulb to my low beams so it lights up only when I have my low beams on. You can put an orange bulb in there and also use it as a turn signal function :) there're plenty of ideas!

You might also want to use your turn signal socket from OEM lamp if you have a two filament turn signal bulb - one for turn signal finction and the 2nd one for running lights. Check the pinout on the turn signal connector. If it has 3 pins then you'll need to use your OEM bulb socket.
Mine looke like this:

I also purchased HID kit for my low beams from theretrofitsource.com and I gor rubber caps from them too to accomodate for HID bulbs.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Jayson. My turn signal harness has 3 active (wired) pins and the Spyder socket only has two. I wish I knew what HID kit to buy. Is there one that just connects to the existing harness? Does one ballast power high and low beams? I see on the Spyder harness the ground is wired together, only 4 pins for 3 lights.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanks for the info Jayson. My turn signal harness has 3 active (wired) pins and the Spyder socket only has two. I wish I knew what HID kit to buy. Is there one that just connects to the existing harness? Does one ballast power high and low beams? I see on the Spyder harness the ground is wired together, only 4 pins for 3 lights.
Then you need to use your OEM sockets :) There are plenty of sources for HIDs. It's your choice. I went with the retrofitsource kit 5000K 35W for $150. You need two separate HID kits - 1 for high and 1 for low beams. Usually most people just install HIDs for low beams and leave high in halogens since nobody uses high beams that often.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Bumping..hoping someone can help me answer a follow up on these spyders.. I have the lights and the fogs scheduled to be installed monday. I have a post face lift 170. I'm now wondering if I'm going in there ill equipped and perhaps I should reschedule?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bumping..hoping someone can help me answer a follow up on these spyders.. I have the lights and the fogs scheduled to be installed monday. I have a post face lift 170. I'm now wondering if I'm going in there ill equipped and perhaps I should reschedule?
From what I found out Chick, the post facelift that already has HID lights should work.

These are definitely NOT direct OEM replacements as Spyder states on their website.

Chick, did your lights come with any installation instructions?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
You don't need any adapters since yours is post facelift. It's plug and play for you, chick =) All you will need is to wire halos and city light according to your wishes =) And you will need to use your OEM socket for turn signal bulb.
And remember, my spyders are held by two screws only - Top and front bottom. The 3rd supporting screw as in OEM specs if fitted may not align the headlight properly. Hence almost every person just left this screw unmounted. Just letting you know so you don't panic =)

·
Minion
5,602 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm drowning my sorrows tonight... As much I want to install these they will have to wait until I save some more money for the HID ballast kit. I hate that most of the things I buy do not work as advertised by the seller. I emailed Spyder a bunch today but am guessing they are not there on Saturday. I'm tempted just to box them and send them back.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Cheez, what do you think about the lights that Ray posted, those look pretty sharp too. Is that a financial option for you instead of putting more $ into the current spyders? Honestly I would have done the same thing. The entire lighting issue throughout the car [every bulb on that build] confuses me. Xenon, hid, hi beams low beams led blah blah blah blah! At least you don't have to pay someone to install them, that saves you cash too!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm planning to buy those headlights. I have a 2003 r170, it comes with only low beam xenon light. is xenon and HID the same? .
If I buy those headlights, will they fit well without any kit?.
Where am I supposed to plug the halo rings? my current OEM headlights have no halo rings, so I think the car has no place for those wires.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alex, check behind the light assembly for a ballast. If you have a ballast you should be fine with a similar kit, low beam HID.

Chick, I'm just disappointed that I couldn't get this done. I guess I'm a big baby when I don't get what I want :)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.