Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a UK based seller for the Spyder HID headlights in Black?
UK firm drop shipping would be fine too. I get a bit twitchy with unknown import charges from US having been bitten a few times!
Thanks people.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as clarification for anyone looking for the same, the answer would seem to be a resounding NO!

I looked for ages in the UK without success. As I wasn't sure if there was a difference between the readily available US version and a RHD version I ended up importing from AUS - but the shipping was nearly as much as the headlights themselves!

I got them together with everything need for HID upgrade from Mars Performance who were really helpful.

Very happy with them and (so far) no problems with the resistor for the LED's - as others have reported problems in another thread on here ... somewhere.

Next plan of attack is to make them act as true DRL's & side lights in combo so I dont have to show my illuminated back end during the day (though I have been told 'tis very nice :) )

All in all I think they make a cool mod.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
All you need is a DRL controller .. I use a Genlabs DRLR2

I've been there - have a read here

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All you need is a DRL controller .. I use a Genlabs DRLR2

Can't quite get my head round these for my application as its the same lights I'm wanting to use as DRL's and then switching to side lights with two separate power sources.

For the moment (until I find a neater option) I've used a relay with an ignition feed to power them up as DRL's and then switch off when side lights power is applied .... works with no errors BUT the relays buzzed like hell. Ended up shoving in a resistor between earth and the relay switched terminal which seems to work - even though I have no idea why!

Not entirely happy with what seems a clumsy solution ... but its working for now.

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,015 Posts
Thats what the DRL controller does ...

Power to the DRL's when none of the lights are on, and then when the side lights are on, 50% power to the DRL's to dim them...

There is an option to turn the DRL's off completely instead of dimming them ...

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thats what the DRL controller does ...

Power to the DRL's when none of the lights are on, and then when the side lights are on, 50% power to the DRL's to dim them...

There is an option to turn the DRL's off completely instead of dimming them ...

Sorry, only just noticed your reply.

So with the option to turn off the DRL's completely this aught to work still, even though the DRL's and the side lights are actually the same LED unit?

Sorry I'm being a bit slow!

EDIT: Would I still need a couple of diodes or something added to a commercial controller as both power cables are connecting to the same thing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts