Mercedes SLK World banner

341 - 356 of 356 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK250 CDI
19 Posts
Much appreciated thank you for the replies. As I've never used the stuff before, I reckon best get two then. Awesome picture with the Vulcan by the way!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,206 Posts
Much appreciated thank you for the replies. As I've never used the stuff before, I reckon best get two then. Awesome picture with the Vulcan by the way!
An SLKWorld day out.
There's a car show on same site this year.
We won't get group shots, but XM655 will be on show too.
Not sure how far from Essex though.

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
185 Posts
Just a reminder that "Gummi Pflege" means "rubber care" in english and is not a brand. This means that not all "Gummi Pflege" products will be equal or have the same ingredients. Make sure you purchase a reputable brand.
Darn, you're brave.....
I was almost banned for pointing this out....
Some different rubber care products have people been talking about......Eenzet, Einzett, 1Zet and now Nextzett?
I tried Eenzet and didn't find it very special......it's quite watery (low viscosity) and has to be re-applied regularly.
I also tried a tiny bit of Krytox (from a Dutch forum member) but that's a different story!
It feels like silicon oil and has PTFE in it (Teflon) and lasts a while (~6 months, 1 application)....but don't get it on your windows!
You only use a very, very tiny bit of it (Krytox GPL105) and it's quite expensive and very hard to get.
Easiest (for me) is to get it at the VW dealer and order it with #G 052 172 A1
Then you get 30 ml (get used to the SI) for ~45 euros....that works..
Make sure you get the fluid and not the spray can: that's diluted, 5-7% Krytox.

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,171 Posts
Dies this stuff deteriorate in the bottle? I have a half bottle that I purchased about 2013 and wonder if it is still good?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
Dies this stuff deteriorate in the bottle? I have a half bottle that I purchased about 2013 and wonder if it is still good?
I have a bottle from like 2005 and still use it
applicator disintegrated long ago though :D

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,139 Posts
I know G.P. is the go-to rubber seal spray around here but it is pricey AND not available locally as I have to order it online.

Local auto stores carry literally a dozen brands that all claim to be for rubber seals BUT they ALL contain petroleum distillates which will eventually destroy the rubber you're trying to protect.

I finally found one that does NOT contain pet. dist. and it's called (not surprisingly) Rubber Care.

20200309_093033.jpg

I just started using it about a month ago on the Magnum as her doors ALWAYS freeze up with our cold-one-day warm-melts the snow then freezes-the next day weather.

Time will tell if it works. At least I know this is safe for rubber. YMMV.

BTW, that silicone lube (although in my car cupboard) is for the tracks that my sliding windows run in in my home. It has pet. dist. as well hence not for the car.

·
Registered 2004 SLK350
5 Posts
Ok guys, I've looked through the 349 posts on here, ive got my Gummi and will sort the broomstick out shortly. Hopefully I will do my roof over the weekend but I didn't see anyone say what you should clean the seals with prior to applying the lube?
Should I use soap and water or maybe a wet/baby wipe or something else?
And do I just let the lube dry or wipe over just before it dries?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered 2001 SLK230 Kompressor
61 Posts
I know G.P. is the go-to rubber seal spray around here but it is pricey AND not available locally as I have to order it online.

Local auto stores carry literally a dozen brands that all claim to be for rubber seals BUT they ALL contain petroleum distillates which will eventually destroy the rubber you're trying to protect.

I finally found one that does NOT contain pet. dist. and it's called (not surprisingly) Rubber Care.

View attachment 573160

I just started using it about a month ago on the Magnum as her doors ALWAYS freeze up with our cold-one-day warm-melts the snow then freezes-the next day weather.

Time will tell if it works. At least I know this is safe for rubber. YMMV.

BTW, that silicone lube (although in my car cupboard) is for the tracks that my sliding windows run in in my home. It has pet. dist. as well hence not for the car.
Did you get it at the Canadian Tire by any chance?

My Golf’s doors started to freeze up in the same “type” of the weather :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
Ok guys, I've looked through the 349 posts on here, ive got my Gummi and will sort the broomstick out shortly. Hopefully I will do my roof over the weekend but I didn't see anyone say what you should clean the seals with prior to applying the lube?
Should I use soap and water or maybe a wet/baby wipe or something else?
And do I just let the lube dry or wipe over just before it dries?
Thanks in advance
i would just use water n a microfiber
soap would not hurt anything
let the gummi dry by itself but if not a uniform application, wipe off any excess so it looks purty

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,139 Posts
Did you get it at the Canadian Tire by any chance?

My Golf’s doors started to freeze up in the same “type” of the weather :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. CTA.

It was applied after cleaning as best I could (it was winter after all). but no further "freezing rain, etc" was incurred so no idea how well it worked.

The test will be next winter though.

·
Registered 2016 SLC200
164 Posts
All Gummi'd up and nowhere to go...:(

Dutifully did all the seals today with Gummi-pflege. But we're still in lockdown so won't be using the car for at least 10 days, when I will be in the office again for a short time.

Anyway, job done and all ready for better times in the summer when we're let out to use the roads again!

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
80 Posts
Gave my seals a good clean and Gummi-Pflege overhaul today. Surprised how dirty they had become since the last time I did them, but It’s quite a satisfying little job!

Sneaked out for a very quick drive afterwards, which was far more satisfying ;)

341 - 356 of 356 Posts