Mercedes SLK World banner

321 - 340 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
My "guess" is that not all 10 to 20 year old electro hydraulic systems behave the same when stopped in mid cycle. Lots of people think that commonly recognized safety procedures don't apply to them.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
11,936 Posts

·
11,936 Posts
@jtanabodee No pics (generally speaking) will show when using google to find an image.
You have to download the pic to your computer and then attach it to your post like this

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
@jtanabodee No pics (generally speaking) will show when using google to find an image.
You have to download the pic to your computer and then attach it to your post like this
Thanks for the information. Need to get use to the forum. It is quite difficult to work around on mobile phone.
So, does it usable. Gummin Pflege is not available here.

·
11,936 Posts
Thanks for the information. Need to get use to the forum. It is quite difficult to work around on mobile phone.
So, does it usable. Gummin Pflege is not available here.
On a cell, make sure you use the blue (classic) view. Find it at the very bottom left of the page. ALSO use desktop (not mobile) view.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,156 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorted out the roof tool yesterday and got round to Gummi Pfledging all the seals on both my cars and also lubed all the roof lube points on the SLK. Additionally cleaned and applied leather protection cream.

I don't think the lube points had been done since it left the factory but everything looks so new the previous owners couldn't have used the roof much

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
49 Posts
Last weekend I spent some time doing this work. My roof was squeaking and it was very annoying.

I didn't had the gummy pflege that all in here recommended, but I did had 303 marine spray that I know has been working nice for all the plastics, so I used.

Cleaned all metal joints and rubber seals, lubed all the metal joints with white lithium grease, and dressed all rubber with 303. Results.... Amazing! I don't hear any squeaks or noise from the roof at all. With the roof close you would think it's a normal coupe. I can't believe the difference. Late on Sunday I finally got the gummi pflege and re dressed all rubber with that just because...

Conclusion 303 will also work. I think the clue it's clean all the rubber and grease all the joints.

Thanks for sharing your tips.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
64 Posts
THANK YOU (that's a 'big' thank you) to all who have posted suggestions for fixes for the roof noises when raised .
Great place this forum.

I've had what started off as a fairly serious sounding clanking noise which to my (possibly imparied) ears initially sounded like it was coming from the drivers (right/starboard) side door for about 18 months. After I found that the noise disappeared with the roof folded I decided it wasn't serious and never got around to doing anything about it (I normally have the top down anyhow)

After coming across the threads in the "DIYs for ROOF issues" section I realised I was not the only one suffering. Before adjusting anything I thought I'd just try a bit of lube on the vertical and lateral contact points for the boot lid and hey presto the noise is completely gone!
OK I probably need to at least use some more appropriate lube (I simply put some lithium grease on the fittings for now as it's all I had) and maybe look at adjusting the contact points but I'm just so happy that it's gone for the moment.

Funny thing is I didn't realise how bad it was until it was gone, I realised I was always trying to drive around the issue

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,156 Posts
check your country's version of Amazon...they should have it

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Just a reminder that "Gummi Pflege" means "rubber care" in english and is not a brand. This means that not all "Gummi Pflege" products will be equal or have the same ingredients. Make sure you purchase a reputable brand.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking to purchase some Gummi Pflege for the roof seals. In your experience guys, how far/long will 100mls last and should I just bite the bullet and get two bottles?
Thanks in advance guys.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,467 Posts
I always suggest two.
If you are deep cleaning the seals first, then you need a couple of runs with the gummi.
Roof, doors and boot.
Something worth doing annually.
It will last forever.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
I got one and still haven't ran out but two doesn't hurt. I can't imagine having to use that much unless all your rubbers are dry and cracky.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
81 Posts
I always get two. First time I used it, the seals were very dry. The applicator hit a dry spot & the angle was just right, & the applicator came off. Before I could react, the contents spilled out. I now take the applicator off & dunk an old toothbrush in the bottle. Better control. I use it twice a year. Works great.

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,372 Posts
My R171 had a MB maintenance contract, so they put something on the seals & I topped it up later in the year.

So I'm still on the first bottle - But as said above, depends how dry/dirty they are...

321 - 340 of 342 Posts