Mercedes SLK World banner
301 - 320 of 471 Posts
Two things are holding me back, lack of a tool or broom handle to sacrifice, and wow there is a lot of rubber trim on the car.

I do have a bottle of the Gummi stuff and a bottle of Griots Rubber Prep.

How would I do the broomstick trick with the Smart Top? It opens all the way when I pull the button so not sure how to stop it midway with this mod. Thanks.
disable the smarttop

then do it

but also remember that the inside switch still will work even with the st. just push it in the opposite direction to stop movement

Fantastic write up! I did this today. I cut a 1/2" piece of PCV pipe about 16" and put a couple of plastic covers like you find on folding chair tips over each end for my "broomstick". It took me a few tries to get the top just in the right spot. The rubber looked pretty good. I have no idea if the previous owners treated the rubber or not. The hinges, latches, etc., did not appear to be greased at all.

I don't understand the broomstick thing - I open my roof and let go of the button half way, do the gummi, then continue with the open - why do you need to do anything else?
if you take longer than 7 minutes, gravity will do its thing and the roof will close

see page 6

https://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/train_vario_roof.pdf

Stop Mode
When operation is interrupted before reaching fully open or closed
position, the Vario Roof will only hold its position temporarily:
• for 7 minutes if ignition is ON
• for 15 seconds if ignition is switched OFF!
(15 second rule also applies when operating via infrared remote)
(audible warning is heard before pressure is released and gravity takes over)

The Gummi Pflege is top job. Ironically I've actually got two bottles of it that I bought to do my seals on the STI with...so happy days, I've got some already.

Just need to find out exactly where they all are now.

May seem a silly question, but when you lower the roof, can you just stop it and lube the seals that way? It doesnt have to be full put down or up once the process starts does it?

Cheers.

The Gummi Pflege is top job. Ironically I've actually got two bottles of it that I bought to do my seals on the STI with...so happy days, I've got some already.

Just need to find out exactly where they all are now.

May seem a silly question, but when you lower the roof, can you just stop it and lube the seals that way? It doesnt have to be full put down or up once the process starts does it?

Cheers.
You can, but after I think 20 seconds the roof finishes the movement.

This is what you need. https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-c...olding-roof-open-broomstick-modification.html

roof commences to gravity after 7 minutes without broomstick method

https://www.billsden.org/fileadmin/media/mercedes/slk/docs/train_vario_roof.pdf

page 6

Stop Mode
When operation is interrupted before reaching fully open or closed
position, the Vario Roof will only hold its position temporarily:
• for 7 minutes if ignition is ON
• for 15 seconds if ignition is switched OFF!
(15 second rule also applies when operating via infrared remote)
(audible warning is heard before pressure is released and gravity takes over)

As previously mentioned; use the 'Broomstick' mod to hold the roof in mid position. You can then turn the ignition off and lube to your hearts content :wink:

I found a piece of wood, cut to roughly the length mentioned in the Broomstick mod guide and fitted a screw in hook at either end. The hooks were large enough to clip round the latching mechanism in the roof panel and window screen. This holds the roof firmly in place and allows you to reach all the seals that aren't accessible when the roof is either open or closed.

I did this yesterday without the broomstick. I discovered there is a sweet spot during roof movement where if you interrupt it, the roof will stay balanced in mid-air indefinitely (30+ minutes for me). I did this with ignition off making the roof go up/down with the SmartTOP module, and interrupting movement with a key press, so it only took me a few minutes to discover the sweet spot. Be very careful of your body parts though... be ready to yank yourself away at a moment's notice if it does start to collapse.

This could be classic internet bad advice, look what I did and nothing bad happened, now you try it. Something with a 0.1% risk of failure would only have a 50% chance of showing up in 500 trials. Isn't the rear window glass about $3k to replace? Use a stick that locks on both ends.

This could be classic internet bad advice, look what I did and nothing bad happened, now you try it. Something with a 0.1% risk of failure would only have a 50% chance of showing up in 500 trials. Isn't the rear window glass about $3k to replace? Use a stick that locks on both ends.
I think trying to jam a stick between the moving roof and the car is riskier than just balancing the roof. There is no risk of damaging the roof since if it falls off-balance it moves down very slowly. The only risk is to your body parts if you don't get out of the way quickly enough.

I think trying to jam a stick between the moving roof and the car is riskier than just balancing the roof. There is no risk of damaging the roof since if it falls off-balance it moves down very slowly. The only risk is to your body parts if you don't get out of the way quickly enough.
You might not be aware but mb techs use a dedicated tool and the broomstick is just the poor man's copy.

So if MB uses it............. @stereolab42

Post 76 has the pic also

Bracing - Mercedes-Benz (230-589-04-63-00)

301 - 320 of 471 Posts