Mercedes SLK World banner

Spring is here~Gummi Pflege! Lube your seals/Lithium grease your joints /hinges

200K views 470 replies 174 participants last post by  Avel Du 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
It's that time of year to pay special attention to your weather seals.

I've not found anything that even comes close to Gummi Pflege for protecting them

Buy here:

or Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-91480615-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG?ie=UTF8&ascsubtag=shopzilla_rev_118-20;14675533192980910571810070301008005&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B004B8GTQG&linkCode=df0&ref_=asc_df_B004B8GTQG4387300&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=shopzilla0d-20

Jbanks15 also adding these links here for roof and joints/moving parts:

Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Lubing vario roof - pics (1)Krytox (2)grease

Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Lubing vario roof - pics (1)Krytox (2)grease

Top pics R170, bottom pdf R171 but both models have similar if not exact lube points
DO NOT USE WD-40!!! IT IS A SOLVENT. NOT A LUBRICANT

CAUTION: Whether opening or closing the roof to lubricate, ensure when done, that you let the roof continue in whatever direction it was moving when you started to finish its cycle.

Holding roof open

DIY : R171 : Holding Roof Open : "Broomstick&quot...

jb added

Attachments

See less See more
1 11
#2 ·
I have a pot ready waiting to go, when I have a nice weekend (and my car comes back from the dealer)

Do you do the seals in the order of the photos?, how long do you leave it to dry etc?

Also do you do it all with the roof down, or do you use the 'broomstick' method to hold the roof in mid transition to get any other seals? (that's if that system works on a 170?

#3 ·
On the R171, the broomstick method works a treat. I've still got a load of Krytox I picked up, but the Gummi works very well, and god knows is a heck of a lot cheaper.

With the Krytox, I let it sit 45 minutes before wiping off all excess. With the Gummi, I don't think I waited that long, but it was a damned nice sunny day. Strongly recommend you pick a top-up day to lubricate! :)

#12 ·
It's that time of year to pay special attention to your weather seals.

I've not found anything that even comes close to Gummi Pflege for protecting them:
Thank you for detailed instructions! Will try to apply grease this weekend.

How is it different from R171 models? Does it have extra seals to be greased?

#15 ·
Thank you for detailed instructions! Will try to apply grease this weekend.

How is it different from R171 models? Does it have extra seals to be greased?

I don't think they're that different. Any 171 guys want to chime in?

If it's a rubber weather seal, go ahead and Gummi Pflege it. It won't hurt anything.

#17 ·
will 1 bottle work for the entire car?
how often do you apply this? annually?

#20 ·
so glad I found this thread! ordering now from autogeek.net for $8.99 plus shipping (amazon was quoting 1-2 months for delivery). I've been meaning to search for this topic now that i've been driving the car more.

Thanks tcrankwa!

#22 ·
Spring is here~ Gummi Pflege!

Are there any special guidelines to when applying gummy? Just turn it around, let the sponge to get wet enough, apply to rubber seals and leave it to dry for an hour?

#24 ·
#27 ·
Gummi should be left to dry also. I've heard of wet gummi bonding to the other surface and ruining the seal.

I honestly can't say enough about this product. It's good stuff.

#29 ·
yes, use the broomstick method or if you have the smarttop, disable it, and then you can stop the roof in any position, until gravity takes over at 7 or 9 minutes.

#31 ·
thanks but we are well aware of eddy's diy! but thanks for posting it for others!!