Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does driving in Sport mode wear out tires faster?

I just got new tires and was recommended to break them in with easy acceleration, braking, and cornering for the next 500 miles.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,273 Posts
what do you think? hint hint hint

"Sport mode" often tightens up the steering, sharpens the throttle response, and raises the shift points or holds gears for longer on automatic transmissions.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a trick question?

Sport mode also accelerates faster, no?

what do you think? hint hint hint

"Sport mode" often tightens up the steering, sharpens the throttle response, and raises the shift points or holds gears for longer on automatic transmissions.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,273 Posts
yes...............

so you answered your own question

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,349 Posts
I drive ONLY in "S" mode. I don't drag-race from a stop light, only more spirited on freeways where there is ample smoother road surface. My tires do last a wee bit (except for one with a rip)... and my last set had ~25K miles of use on my rear tires before replacement (mostly freeway driving to-and-from work). Not bad for a RWD, spirited "S" mode driving... jus' sayn'...

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
349 Posts
What I was always told with new tires is that it takes some time for the lubricant used in mounting the tire to the rim to fully dry so the tire won't slip on the rim and mess up wheel balance. I tend to doubt it will take 500 miles, more like a few heat cycles, but not much harm in following directions. I'd avoid hard launches, but hard braking could put more stress on the tire slipping.

BTW I never drive in sport mode, as I understand it pressing the accelerator down past some point has the same effect on shift points etc.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whenever I drive in Sport mode and slow down for red lights, stop signs etc, the engine really roars, RPM jumps up with my foot on the brake. I'm scared the engine is gonna blow up, LOL. Is that silly?

Do you notice a big change in gas mileage driving in economy vs. Sport?

I drive ONLY in "S" mode. I don't drag-race from a stop light, only more spirited on freeways where there is ample smoother road surface. My tires do last a wee bit (except for one with a rip)... and my last set had ~25K miles of use on my rear tires before replacement (mostly freeway driving to-and-from work). Not bad for a RWD, spirited "S" mode driving... jus' sayn'...

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pretty much never drive in sport mode as well. I'm afraid it will hurt the engine long term so I baby it. Takes me over 10 seconds at dead stop to reach 0-60 :smile:

What I was always told with new tires is that it takes some time for the lubricant used in mounting the tire to the rim to fully dry so the tire won't slip on the rim and mess up wheel balance. I tend to doubt it will take 500 miles, more like a few heat cycles, but not much harm in following directions. I'd avoid hard launches, but hard braking could put more stress on the tire slipping.

BTW I never drive in sport mode, as I understand it pressing the accelerator down past some point has the same effect on shift points etc.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK200
2,152 Posts
Whenever I drive in Sport mode and slow down for red lights, stop signs etc, the engine really roars, RPM jumps up with my foot on the brake. I'm scared the engine is gonna blow up, LOL. Is that silly?

In Sport mode, the box will also change to lower gears more quickly when you brake, thereby keeping the revs up - ready for quicker acceleration away from a corner etc.
To avoid the roaring, be more predictive when approaching stop lights and let the car take off the speed with less use of sudden/heavy braking.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK350
1,349 Posts
If you want to hear that engine roar for real, get it past 5K rpm on a freeway >:D

Don't know bcos MPG has never been an issue of interest/concern for me owing an MB.

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Sport Mode is the normal mode for the car you purchased.
The other modes are a sales gimmick to trick you into thinking that when you press Sport you are getting more.
You can drive in Comfort mode while in Sport mode, don't press the accelerator pedal too far.
The best button is Sports plus because you get Normal, Comfort, Sport, Sport +. Same car more buttons.

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just learned so much about sport mode. I'll use it more when I reached 500 miles break in for new tires 0:)

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
599 Posts
I only drive in sport.
I take it easy with new tyres just to make sure all the gunk.
It’s whatever you feel comfy in.
Comfort is best for my knee but I’m so used to sport I don’t like that it’s slower to pick up.
It also gives me that little bit of oompth to keep up with the 55.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts