Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The new MotoGP season gets under way in Qatar this weekend with six-time champion Marc Marquez not yet fully recovered from injury.

Spain's Joan Mir won the championship last year in the absence of Marquez.
The focus will also be on Italy's Franco Morbidelli and Spain's Alex Rins, who finished second and third to Mir last season.

Seven-time champion Valentino Rossi, 42, has joined a new team for the start of his 21st MotoGP season.

Mir says he is "surprised" Marquez isn't racing in Qatar, but the Honda driver could return for race three.

"It will be difficult for him to restart in Portimao [Portugal] and fight for the championship," he added.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
5,788 Posts
About time too.......the lockdown wouldn’t have been so bad if we had MotoGP to keep us company..
I’m surprised Marc isn’t racing though, he must have really done some serious damage to his arm last year, but then to snap a titanium plate.......

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will be back.
MGP is really good entertainment.

Real overtaking, tyre management every race & wet weather racing at it's best.
No Halo etc etc
Love it.

·
* Registered
SLK 350 R171 2007
161 Posts
No matter if Marquez returns in round three, if he does, this championship will be his 7th, he is a few steps over the rest.

This probably will be the last year for Rossi, he deserves to have people in the circuits to have a proper goodbye, let's see if Cov19 thinks the same...

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
14 Posts
Ah yes, it's going to be a very interesting championship.
If the Yamahas can be consistent Morbidelli could be the guy. If Marc shows up in the early rounds with a little of his magic he's the favorite. The Ducatis of Thriller and Pecco in FP2 this morning were stupid fast and smooth as silk but past experience has proven Qatar doesn't mean much compared to the other tracks. So many variables and so much excitement. I'm ready!!

Reactions: npb748r and Avel Du

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MotoGP: Maverick Vinales wins season opener in Qatar - BBC Sport

Spaniard Maverick Vinales won the opening race of the MotoGP season in Qatar.

Vinales overtook Francesco Bagnaia, who started on pole, to move into the lead with eight laps left before securing his ninth win in the premier class.
Johann Zarco was second as he and third-placed Bagnaia passed reigning champion Joan Mir down the final straight on the last lap.

"Overall, it was so good. It was a fantastic weekend," said Vinales.

"I felt unbelievable. The start didn't go so well but after that I felt the potential.

"I tried to be very smart and calm, and took the right place to push. Finally, I opened a gap and I was trying to control the tyres and manage the power."

Meanwhile, Sam Lowes was victorious in the Moto2 race in Qatar, becoming the first Briton to win a season opener since 1979.

He finished in a time of 40 minutes 3.123 seconds, with Australian Remy Gardner second and Italian Fabio di Giannantonio third.

1 Maverick Vinales (Spa) Yamaha 42mins 28.663sec

2 Johann Zarco (Fra) Pramac +1.092sec

3 Francesco Bagnaia (Ita) Ducati +1.129

4 Joan Mir (Spa) Suzuki +1.222

5 Fabio Quartararo (Fra) Yamaha +3.030

6 Alex Rins (Spa) Suzuki +3.357

7 Aleix Espargaro (Spa) Aprilia Racing +5.934

8 Pol Espargaro (Spa) Honda +5.990

9 Jack Miller (Aus) Ducati +7.058

10 Enea Bastianini (Ita) +9.288

·
5,788 Posts
I felt sorry for Mir going from 2nd to 4th on the last corner exit but even if he didn’t go wide I think the Ducati’s would have still powered past him.
Nice to see Pecco can tame the Ducati, kinda reminds me of Stoner’s riding style.

·
5,788 Posts
Has anyone noticed the safety car?
In that Kermit green It shows just how ugly the new BMW grills are!

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
569 Posts
Has anyone noticed the safety car?
In that Kermit green It shows just how ugly the new BMW grills are!
it's a BMW trait - ugliness. It will be a good year again for motogp I think, 2 different winners in the first 2 races, fighting on and off track (John Mcphee had a bit of handbags at dawn in moto3). As mentioned before, probably Rossi's last year. I saw his first UK race in 125 at Donnington about several centuries ago and continued to go to motogp races up to a few years ago. Have been thinking about going again this year in case it's his last. Don't you just like motorsport where there's proper racing, lots of overtaking and multiple opportunities for different winners. If not, watch F1 !

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, mod on a car forum.

So I cannot say I prefer bike racing, especially road racing can I.
Nor that I'd take a fortnight on the Isle of Man for TT, or Classic races over ANY F1 race.
And circuit racing 125s and 250s are the bravest of the brave.
4 abreast into a bend regularly. Love it, I mean, I can't say that I love it, but....

·
* Registered From: Northamptonshire, UK
2017 SLC 250d AMG Line In Brilliant Blue
125 Posts
Road racing rocks!
As you say, only for the bravest of the brave. Just look at what's left of the Dunlop dynasty for evidence of that 😔
Maybe they should have slowed down, grown up & purchased a gentlemans conveyance. Like an SLK/SLC for example 😉
I'll run the idea past Michael Dunlop & see what he has to say? Being an even tempered kinda chap, I'm sure he'll give due consideration to the idea of a lardy "hairdressers car" over a razor sharp 200mph missile 🤔 🥴 😎

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Road racing rocks!
As you say, only for the bravest of the brave. Just look at what's left of the Dunlop dynasty for evidence of that 😔
Maybe they should have slowed down, grown up & purchased a gentlemans conveyance. Like an SLK/SLC for example 😉
I'll run the idea past Michael Dunlop & see what he has to say? Being an even tempered kinda chap, I'm sure he'll give due consideration to the idea of a lardy "hairdressers car" over a razor sharp 200mph missile 🤔 🥴 😎
Better to run it by Guy Martin. I'm sure he'd find a record to break with an SLK/SLC.
Joey was my absolute hero of all time. I even took after him back in the day.
365 days a year on the bike, overweight, smoked more than a kipper and clipped kerbs (wanted or not).
Never forget him doing a parade lap on a Honda Aspencade, I think it was.
Hanging out at the Creg and he came hurtling round grinding the footplates and grinning like a Cheshire cat.
Smooth as silk.

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
14 Posts
I've been a Fabio fan boy ever since he stepped up to GP and he made me proud to wear his shirt on Sunday.
In reality I like all of them but right now Fabio is my guy. Even more so after that idiotic move Miller made on Mir.
The reaction by the old guys in the Ducati garage should be warning enough for Jackass.
Moto2 was a bit of a yawner but that's okay since Moto3 was breathtaking. How do those kids keep from getting all tangled up?
Lots of new very exciting talent in all three categories!

·
* Registered From: Northamptonshire, UK
2017 SLC 250d AMG Line In Brilliant Blue
125 Posts
I have a large collection of pin badges that I keep meaning to Ehay. They are from the NW200, Ulster GP & IOM TT etc from the 70's & 80's.
Unfortunately bikes are just about to become a thing of the past for myself. Hence the purchase of our SLC.
But the sale of the badges might generate enough cash for a tyre or two? Maybe even enough for a MB main dealer service next year? 🤔

·
*Registered
2008 SLK350
14 Posts
But the sale of the badges might generate enough cash for a tyre or two? "Maybe even enough for a MB main dealer service next year?" 🤔
That must be one hell of a valuable badge collection you have there!😊

·
5,788 Posts
I must admit that I took to Fabio when he moved to MotoGP too. I think he has the potential to be world champion if he can deal with the mental pressure but over the break he has taken advice on how to deal with it so I think it could be his to loose.
I have watched the Miller on Mir move over and over and it definitely looked like pay back......stupid move, he was lucky the officials didn’t take it further!
I am considering going to the British round this year as it could be Rossi’s last year although I wish it was still at Donnington not silverstone as Donnington is much better for spectators.
I too prefer bike road racing to cars any day (well, since they banned group B rally) as it is open to anyone to win........well, Let’s see what happens when Marc returns!:censored:

·
* Registered
2003 R170 SLK230 used /abused daily
55 Posts
Valentino Rossi 25 yrs of GP racing , 125 , 250 , 500 , 880 , 1000 , that is every class of GP bike ridden that I can remember, I still like RINS, watched his rise thru the ranks, I have awaited Suzukis' return. Except for Phillip Island , been there twice , its the small hours when dedicated Kiwis watch GP racing LIVE.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts