Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My wife and I just bought our first MB last Saturday. An 05 SLK 350. We bought the car in Florida and drove it back to our home in Virginia. We got a hundred miles into the trip going down the interstate when all of sudden there was a loud banging noise coming from the front end. We got pulled over and found the two front bolts had fell out of the splash shield, I guess that is what you call it. It is the plastic shield under the engine. We called the previous owner after we got home and he said that happened twice before over the four years he had owned it. He said both times it happened the dealership had recently changed the oil.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome, and sorry to hear about your problems. The front shield on the car is held in place by 8 bolts as I recall, and I've never had any come lose. The two front ones screw into compression spring clips - may want to replace these as well as use some LokTite Blue when you replace them...

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,317 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at-Arms

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Sounds like a "stripped" thread on the plastic. I echo what John stated to replace the compression spring clips that the bolts screw into and to use Loctite Blue.

Can you post photo of where the bolts came loose from (i.e., which specific position)?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,055 Posts
There's actually three separate pieces of plastic under there, they're pretty easy to remove, and mine have never come loose (although I've only removed them twice).

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
He said both times it happened the dealership had recently changed the oil.
Dealerships normally don't remove noise shielding to change motor oil, as they vacuum old oil out the dipstick tube instead (SLK55 is exception). But there's no question these things ought to be just left alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.