Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I share your enthusiasm - it would be nice to see, but I think not possible as they will have to protect the 456 and 503 of the AMG-GTs...

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Interesting you say that. Yes, the SLC63 'should' be able to produce 500ish as it is the same M178 engine that the AMG-GT uses, but I just cannot see that MB would allow something costing infinitely less than their flagship having the same output as the flagship. In my opinion this is what Porsche did when they introduced the BoxterS, and it is on record that many who might have bought a new 911 in fact settled for the Boxter.

Interesting to wait and see though! This new V8 engine by all accounts is the dogs b*ll*ks producing a hell of a punch, and highly tuneable. I think there will be some serious add-ons coming out Kleeman once they get going…>:D

Having said all this - when will it all get out of hand? 500 is an awful lot to put into what will basically be an SLK! When I bought my 250 the other day, the dealer had a 55 also for sale. I briefly thought about it, but after a test drive, quickly parked it - I knew I would get into some serious trouble with that sort of power…I cannot imagine what it would be like with another 20%..:surprise:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I find it kinda weird that Mercedes uses the SLC Lettering on a 2 Seater with a Top that comes down. Some of you might remember the real thing.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
What I want to see are the performance figures...please oh please have 500+ bhp :D

Nice thought but at the end of the day how fast do you really want to go? Unless you are going to take it to the track or fortunate enough to live in a country where there are roads with no restrictions on speed what is the point?

Here in good old Ontario where we are treated like school kids by the Government, you get caught doing 50kph over any of the speed limits, with 100kph being to highest on the 400 series Highways, you are charged with stunt driving and or racing(even though there are no other cars on the road:surprise:) and your car gets impounded..gone are the days of just getting a speeding ticket and paying a fine. Most modern cars will reach 100+mph but the question is how fast does it take to get there? so perhaps the engineers should just concentrate on the 0-60 numbers rather than the top end....well here in Ontario anyway:wink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice thought but at the end of the day how fast do you really want to go? Unless you are going to take it to the track or fortunate enough to live in a country where there are roads with no restrictions on speed what is the point?

Here in good old Ontario where we are treated like school kids by the Government, you get caught doing 50kph over any of the speed limits, with 100kph being to highest on the 400 series Highways, you are charged with stunt driving and or racing(even though there are no other cars on the road:surprise:) and your car gets impounded..gone are the days of just getting a speeding ticket and paying a fine. Most modern cars will reach 100+mph but the question is how fast does it take to get there? so perhaps the engineers should just concentrate on the 0-60 numbers rather than the top end....well here in Ontario anyway:wink:
We've enjoyed our Kleemann for a decade on Cali roads & I've had 1 ticket...It's a fun car. Just remember, you can NEVER have a car with too much power >:D

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,117 Posts
True that. see my Kleemann link in my sig block

·
Registered 2013 SLK 55 AMG
44 Posts
I think the 450 AMG series of models will all have the new 3.0 litre V6 bi-turbo engine, the same as in the recently announced C450 AMG. It's not a full Affalterbach unit (it's a new MB engine) but should come with about 370bhp and similar torx and aligned to what Audi call their 'S' models (as opposed to Audi RS with is equivalent to full-fat AMG models).

What will be interesting is to see how much longer the N/A M152 engine can keep up with Euro legislation. It certainly made it to Euro-6 with the stop/start and cylinder deactivation cleverness, but whether it can go further than that, remains to be seen. I doubt MB would stick the full 4.0litre bi-turbo AMG engine in it (way too close to the AMG GT for that), so maybe there may be a N/A version of that engine fitted instead. Who knows, but it will be exciting to find out!

·
Premium Member-sold my '55
1,384 Posts
Considering the numbers sold of the R172 55, it may well be there is not coming any AMG model above the 450. The SLK was never intended to be a sports car and with the current (just) 55 putting out 421 bhp the 370 is already to close for comfort. It would take an AMG version with at least 450 bhp to make a noticable difference to justify the price difference. And with 450 the SL is pushed towards the AMG-GT.

We all know the sales numbers of the R170 and R171 are never going to be met by the R172 let alone the R173. That may the best reason for not having an AMG model anymore for the SLC.

Oh well, mine will be a future classic, the last of the big V8's ! :grin:

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
16,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
more on the SLC

2016 Mercedes SLC Roadster Prototype Spied in Stuttgart

The Mercedes-Benz SLK-Class has bee relatively anonymous ever since its launch. Few people have praised the baby roadster from Germany, and even fewer compared it to the Porsche Boxster like they used to.

However, a replacement is coming in the form of the 2016, and it's about to be closely matched to the Porsche. You see, while the Boxster is getting its first turbocharged engines, the 2-seater with the star badge is also going for forced induction.

The flagship model is likely to be the SLC 450 AMG, equipped with a 3-liter twin-turbo engine that produces around 370 PS. However, this spy video probably shows something a little more down-to-earth.

Judging from the number of exhausts, we're dealing with a four-banger here. The range will probably kick off with the SLC 200, equipped with a 2-liter engine that delivers 190 PS and 300 Nm (222 lb-ft) of torque. Next up will be the SLK 300 with the same type of turbo engine but more power - 245 hp and 370 Nm (273 lb-ft).

We're expecting the SLK 350 and its 3.5-liter engine to be phased out and replaced by the SLK 400, a twin-turbo V6 with more torque.

Cosmetically speaking, the biggest difference between the old model and the new one is at the front. There, the latest Mercedes design language gives us a prominent new grille design and a new bumper with softer edges. Hopefully, even though the lights have not been changed, they will be upgraded to the LED tech seen on the C-Class.

According to the rumor mill, the SLC-Class will debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September and enter production during the first quarter of 2016.

·
Registered 2012 SLK55 AMG
391 Posts
Need more info on the 450 :) - hp, 0-60 times etc. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the 55. I really hope they stick with the 55 badge, Mercedes need to stop changing the names constantly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's what I want out of the r173? AMG aka SLC450

-Adaptive headlights
-auto folding mirrors on unlock and lock
-magic sky roof, rear glass, & side glass. I'm tired of tinted windows with vinyl. I want to dial in my tint contingent on the time of day / sunlight
-heated and cooled seats
-heated and cooled airscarf
-V8 with 4 cyl shut off and I want it SC-ed or turbo-ed
-AWD... I want to put the power to the ground ala GTR by nissan
-LED's behind the interior door handles so my passengers can see where the handle is at night

·
Registered 2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
-Adaptive headlights - already fitted to R172 with lighting pack
-auto folding mirrors on unlock and lock - already available on R172 with mirror pack
-magic sky roof, rear glass, & side glass. I'm tired of tinted windows with vinyl. I want to dial in my tint contingent on the time of day / sunlight - i can understand why you might want that.
-heated and cooled seats - already available with Designo if you're prepared to pay for it.
-heated and cooled airscarf
-V8 with 4 cyl shut off and I want it SC-ed or turbo-ed - that's definitely coming
-AWD... I want to put the power to the ground ala GTR by nissan - I'd be very surprised if this was possible, but Audi can do it so why not Mercedes?
- LED's behind the interior door handles so my passengers can see where the handle is at night - already available on the R172 with interior lighting pack

So really, your likelihood of being satisfied is quite high. :wink:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
725 Posts
I am thinking that in 2018 or 2019, I will be looking for a nice just off lease SLC400

·
Registered Still SLK-less. Maybe one day ...
607 Posts
I am thinking that in 2018 or 2019, I will be looking for a nice just of lease SLC400
I like your thinking. You're planning ahead like me :)

As things are currently I need to run my current car for another 12 to 18 months at least - which I've been thinking means I could possibly then go for a 3 or 4 year old SLK 55 AMG. But maybe I should exercise my patience and wait to your timescales for an SLC 63 AMG or perhaps its baby brother.

I'm not so good at this delayed gratification thing though LOL. And I'm so missing having a convertible in my life - it's been 4 years already.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts