Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just fitted it , took about half an hour , rad cowl off and access the tensioner pulley , cleaned off the existing bottom pulley and bolted on the oversize one over the top and installed the new supplied belt .
There's a definite improvement in low down torque and better mid range pull but it does run out of puff towards the red line , more so compared to standard . Hopefully a remap should help this , as should a bigger inter cooler and an extra inlet into the factory air box .
If I've got time I'll also see if I can get larger down pipe and maybe dump the cats and make up a better exhaust system , although I don't want any more noise so this may prove difficult !

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've no idea when it comes to computers , posting a message here is the limit of my skills . I live on the Wirral in England and it's a 2002 230 6 speed slk , that's honestly the best I can do , I'm better with spanners than computers , if it's a problem just delete as you see appropriate and cancel the membership , I just thought some members may be interested in the results of what I'm doing .
Cheers Paul

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've just fitted it , took about half an hour , rad cowl off and access the tensioner pulley , cleaned off the existing bottom pulley and bolted on the oversize one over the top and installed the new supplied belt .
There's a definite improvement in low down torque and better mid range pull but it does run out of puff towards the red line , more so compared to standard . Hopefully a remap should help this , as should a bigger inter cooler and an extra inlet into the factory air box .
If I've got time I'll also see if I can get larger down pipe and maybe dump the cats and make up a better exhaust system , although I don't want any more noise so this may prove difficult !
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.
I think it's much more useful to be good with a spanner than it is with a computer 😊

Can I ask exactly which bigger inter cooler you would use for this? And any info on the extra inlet? Any part numbers or manufacturers?

We had a Speer pulley put on in March this year, so - nearly 3 months ago - along with an ECU remap. So far, so good. No problems, touch wood, and loving the difference it has made. We live only 2 hours or so away from Speer in Heilbronn and dropped in there one day and had it done. She doesn't "run out of puff" at the top end so maybe the remap makes the difference.

Thinking it won't hurt to upgrade the inter cooler, though not seen nor had any indication that we need to. So far.

Sorry to pick your brains. Would be nice to hear your input.

Thanks,
Jo
😆

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.
I think it's much more useful to be good with a spanner than it is with a computer 😊

Can I ask exactly which bigger inter cooler you would use for this? And any info on the extra inlet? Any part numbers or manufacturers?

We had a Speer pulley put on in March this year, so - nearly 3 months ago - along with an ECU remap. So far, so good. No problems, touch wood, and loving the difference it has made. We live only 2 hours or so away from Speer in Heilbronn and dropped in there one day and had it done. She doesn't "run out of puff" at the top end so maybe the remap makes the difference.

Thinking it won't hurt to upgrade the inter cooler, though not seen nor had any indication that we need to. So far.

Sorry to pick your brains. Would be nice to hear your input.

Thanks,
Jo
😆

No probs Jo , I've found a couple that should fit without to much modification , tx auto sport and universal inter coolers both make one classed as medium sized , £70 to £105 , looks to be half as big again as standard .
There will be minimal power gains from the inter cooler , it's more of a reliability issue to me .
As for the intake mods I'm 40 mins away from demon tweeks so they have some generic intake trumpets that I should be able to feed into the air box with a short length of heat reflective pipe .
I'll keep a track of part numbers and suppliers and post the details when I've fitted them .
I have a holiday home in the dordogne region of France and I'll be driving up to the nurburgring in July so I can make a short detour on my way to have the re map done . Then it's on to the track and see if the mods work and hold up :surprise:
If they make a decent difference I'll sort the suspension after , I replaced the discs , fitted red pads and higher temp fluid as a matter of course when I serviced the car , all filters inc fuel , plugs idler pulleys and supercharger oil , I've always found it best to start with a good base .
I'll post my thoughts on the results as and when I carry out the mods if that's ok with the guys that run the site , sorry for my computer ignorance but it's just not that important to me .
Cheers
Paul

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,928 Posts
Paul, Our administrator, Livefreeordie updated your profile for you

Vehicle: 2002 slk 230 6 speed

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I've managed to modify the intake system with a universal duct and a short piece of ducting attached to the existing air box , the part is available from demon tweeks , it's the offset intake duct no. 6 cut at the 76 mm step and trimmed to suit in front of the rad .
I've also fitted a larger inter cooler , medium size from universal inter coolers.co.uk , it's half as big again as standard , welded end tanks and decent quality . It's as near as a replacement fit as possible , fits straight into the existing space once all the factory ducting is removed . If anyone's interested you need the medium size inter cooler , 2 silicone bends and 2 alloy pipe joiners , £135 all in . It's easy mounted by 2 straight bar brackets off the engine under tray bracket and bolted to the cooler , one bent alloy strip bracket under the bonnet catch bracket and bolted to the cooler , it comes with 6 threaded fixing points .
You can even cut the old ducting down and utilise it with the new cooler .
I didn't take pics as I've no idea how to post them , and once it's all fixed in there's nothing to really see .
It's made a small difference driving wise , the car doesn't run out of breath so quickly , re map and exhaust next !

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,928 Posts
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

·
Registered
373 Posts
i would be highly interested in seeing the intake that you made, im in the process of trying to figure out a better flowing and more heat resistant one myself. as of right now, i just have a giant cone filter in the place of my factory airbox, i like that i can hear the supercharger a lot more, but ive noticed the car now runs a little warmer (visually on the thermostat gauge in dash)

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've no idea how to post pics , it was just an offset trumpet intake directly behind the grill connected to a larger diameter hose the I butchered onto the original air box . I'm not sure it made any difference .
I've since been looking into making an air box like you say . I'm thinking an alloy heat shield above the blower then a cone filter in an open air box behind the head light .
I'll probably end up cutting out the slam panel support to enlarge the intake mouth as much as possible .
I found an old redline magazine article on a 230 c class they modified with stuff they had lying around , I've yet to find out what they did exactly what they did as it was the last article on that car but it made 238 bhp on the rollers .

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've since been looking into making an air box like you say . I'm thinking an alloy heat shield above the blower then a cone filter in an open air box behind the head light .
that's exactly what i've done so far, minus the heat shield, im working on drawing up the sizes and shapes needed to have a shield fab-ed up. im PM-ing you now for the pictures since you can't post them here

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've no idea how to post pics , it was just an offset trumpet intake directly behind the grill connected to a larger diameter hose the I butchered onto the original air box . I'm not sure it made any difference .
I'll probably end up cutting out the slam panel support to enlarge the intake mouth as much as possible .
I found an old redline magazine article on a 230 c class they modified with stuff they had lying around , I've yet to find out what they did exactly what they did as it was the last article on that car but it made 238 bhp on the rollers .
Hi Paul who are you using for the remap. I live 5 mins from demon tweeks so not to far from you. Will be interested to see the results

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's exactly what i've done so far, minus the heat shield, im working on drawing up the sizes and shapes needed to have a shield fab-ed up. im PM-ing you now for the pictures since you can't post them here
I got your email address , I'll send a pic tomorrow of the intake . I'll include one of the oversize pulley and the larger intercooler . My logic says that with a bigger pulley the blower is working harder and therefore needs more airflow ? I reckon cutting out the slam panel support between the headlight and grill is going to be the way forward .

·
Registered 2016 SLC43
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Paul who are you using for the remap. I live 5 mins from demon tweeks so not to far from you. Will be interested to see the results
I'm guessing by your name your also from the north east ? I'm from Durham originally .
I bought the pulley from speers in Germany and actually called in to his place on my way to the nurburgring from my place in France , I believe he can send the re map by some sort of internet black magic to your computer but for me it was easier to make a 3 hour detour ! I really must drag myself out of my cave and into the same century as everyone else :smile:
I'm just up in Heswall on the Wirral , your welcome to try my car out before you commit to buying .
I reckon there's still good gains in the exhaust area yet .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm guessing by your name your also from the north east ? I'm from Durham originally .
I bought the pulley from speers in Germany and actually called in to his place on my way to the nurburgring from my place in France , I believe he can send the re map by some sort of internet black magic to your computer but for me it was easier to make a 3 hour detour ! I really must drag myself out of my cave and into the same century as everyone else :smile:
I'm just up in Heswall on the Wirral , your welcome to try my car out before you commit to buying .
I reckon there's still good gains in the exhaust area yet .
Originally from Newcastle been down here 30+ years. Would be intrested in seeing her when she is done thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts