Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My SLK (year 2000 230K) speedo has just stopped working. Everything on the dash works apart from the speedo. Lots of other error lights have also come on. e.g ABS etc. I had a friends look and he infoms me the ABS sensors are ok. Would a faulty ABS sensor stop the speedo working altogether?

Cheers
Richard

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
14,194 Posts
Gotta make lemonade out of lemons: if the koppers stop you, tell 'em you weren't speeding. Your speedo only said 0 :wink:

Reactions: rjoliphant

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,190 Posts
Hi,

My SLK (year 2000 230K) speedo has just stopped working. Everything on the dash works apart from the speedo. Lots of other error lights have also come on. e.g ABS etc. I had a friends look and he infoms me the ABS sensors are ok. Would a faulty ABS sensor stop the speedo working altogether?

Cheers
Richard
I think the speedometer is electronically driven from one of the control modules (N10) as this is where the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) information is fed. The ABS sensors do feed the VSS (generated in module N47). Unfortunately it's not clear how the signal gets to the speedo to move the needle. There is help regarding the Vario Roof overspeed test (the test the car does to stop the roof opening/closing when the car is moving) which reads as follows:

N10 pin 74: - Vehicle speed signal input, used for vario-roof unlock recognition during driving mode
Test: Ignition on, left front of vehicle, turn left wheel > 1 rev/sec by hand > 3 VAC or with vehicle moving 20 mph = 200 Hz measure square wave 35 mph = 330 Hz "
I may be clutching at straws, but if this is the case, maybe check the left front speed sensor?

Attachments

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @rjoliphant - I may be a bit pedantic here, but your profile says SLK320 and your post says SLK230. There's rather a lot of engine difference between the two cars, so could you confirm which it is please?

I think the speedometer is electronically driven from one of the control modules (N10) as this is where the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) information is fed. The ABS sensors do feed the VSS (generated in module N47). Unfortunately it's not clear how the signal gets to the speedo to move the needle. There is help regarding the Vario Roof overspeed test (the test the car does to stop the roof opening/closing when the car is moving) which reads as follows:

I may be clutching at straws, but if this is the case, maybe check the left front speed sensor?
Its a 230! Sorry about my fat fingers I have corrected my profile. Many thanks for your reply Ill give that a whirl and let the forum know how I got on.

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for the advise. I now have the car and have taken out and cleaned all the sensors and their connectors. I did notice as I was working my way round them that the front right (drivers side) was missing its retaining clip. I found on another thread that this solved the issue for them. Is MB the only place I will be able to find a replacement clip? I have googled and searched ebay with no joy.

Cheers
Richard

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,685 Posts
Thanks for the advise. I now have the car and have taken out and cleaned all the sensors and their connectors. I did notice as I was working my way round them that the front right (drivers side) was missing its retaining clip. I found on another thread that this solved the issue for them. Is MB the only place I will be able to find a replacement clip? I have googled and searched ebay with no joy.

Cheers
Richard

Get the part number and check the German fleabay.
Lots of good stuff on there.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,183 Posts
get vin
get free datacard
get part number (supply pic, etc) so we can find what you are talking about of provide the 'fix' link you mention

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
get vin
get free datacard
get part number (supply pic, etc) so we can find what oyu are talking about of provide the 'fix' link you mention
Hi,

VIN number is WDB1704492F199516.
Datacard info:

Ident. number (FIN) WDB1704492F199516
VIN WDB1704492F199516
Baumuster 170449
Sales name SLK 230 KOMPRESSO
Permanent link Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz WDB1704492F199516 | CARInfo
Order number 0 0 537 66443 (Destination: Great Britain)
Delivery date 23 08 2000
PAINT1 744U BRILLIANT SILVER METALLIC
Interior color 217A LEATHER MAGMA RED
Engine 111983 32 026016
Gearbox 716630 01 111924
210A LEATHER
217A LEATHER MAGMA RED
309 CUP HOLDER
441 STEERING COLUMN, ADJUSTABLE
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
533 SPEAKERS FRONT AND REAR - WITHOUT RADIO
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
560 ELECTRIC. ADJUSTABLE DRIVER SEAT L. AND R.
580 AIR CONDITIONER
613 HEADLAMP LEFT-HAND TRAFFIC
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
669 SPARE WHEEL / FOLDING WHEEL
673 HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERY
744U BRILLIANT SILVER METALLIC
801 AEJ 00/1 R 170 AEJ 99/2
801 *1 170____ 19980821 AEJ 00/1 R 170 AEJ 99/2
801 *2 111.9__ 19951204 AEJ 06/1/M/X
833 INVALID/GREAT BRITAIN,ADDITIONAL PARTS
875 HEATED SCREEN WASH SYSTEM
882 INTERIOR SAFEGUARD
984 COC DOC., DELETION OF VEHICLE REGISTRATION DOC.
989 IDENTIFICATION LABEL UNDER WINDSHIELD
M111 R4-GASOLINE ENGINE M111

Link where I found the info regarding missing clip
2003 slk230 BAS - ESP light AND Limp mode - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

The clip that is missing is in the attached picture.
Cheers Richard

Attachments

·
98,183 Posts
no luck yet..... is that the front spring or rear spring in the picture?

·
98,183 Posts
no luck...maybe other members can look 4 u

·
98,183 Posts
i checked for sensor, speed, etc
the pictures in epc are drawn so might not represent itself correctly
the part i found was one piece with the cables but only showed them coming from the rear not the front

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,276 Posts
I haven't found anything. It appears to be a wire spring retainer. You might try a salvage yard or take the one off the other side and try an auto parts store to match it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.