Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Not sure I agree with how they base the fines. If you don't claim your income you can get off paying hardly anything for the same crime. Not what I would consider a fair system. The speed is only significant because he got caught. It's not all that unheard of for people to go that fast.

Rabbit

·
Registered
579 Posts
Amen to 'ouch'.

'The Swede may have to pay up to £650,000 under a formula used in Switzerland that takes into account the driver's salary and how much over the speed limit he or she was..."

Sadly more and more governments are beginning to hold successful people to higher standards. How pray tell does one's monetary comfort level make the commission of a crime more or less potentially damaging to society as a whole?

My comment, above is not intended to indicate that I in any way condone the driver's performance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think in every country a traffic ticket is suppose to be a fine,aka punishment,so you dont do it gain...so if you make 2 million bucks a year and pay a 100 dollar ticket for speeding,for that millionaer thats not a fine nor a punishment,its an actual a joke....

If another person who does the exact same violation and is a full time student and makes 200 bucks a month,that 100 dollar ticket is gonna make him suffer and struggle...

thats like telling 2 brothers,and one happens to be blind at birth- you are not allowed to watch tv,for 2 days, because of fighting - to whom is that really a punishment? go figure

So I agree with a system,that charges someone more,based on their income...

·
Registered
99 Posts
The same system is in use in Finland, with the addition of 0-tolerance in speeding - which is why I don't speed when visiting Finland.

And the thing is, the police can check your income with a text message with his (Nokia) phone. Or what it was in last years tax declaration. So lie and you will be caught while still sitting in the back seat of the police cruiser.

And don't get me started on the cameras...

·
Registered
579 Posts
I respectfully disagree. The same logic holds that successful people should pay higher percentages of the total tax burden, not withstanding that they already pay most of it.

I think in every country a traffic ticket is suppose to be a fine,aka punishment,so you dont do it gain...so if you make 2 million bucks a year and pay a 100 dollar ticket for speeding,for that millionaer thats not a fine nor a punishment,its an actual a joke....

If another person who does the exact same violation and is a full time student and makes 200 bucks a month,that 100 dollar ticket is gonna make him suffer and struggle...

thats like telling 2 brothers,and one happens to be blind at birth- you are not allowed to watch tv,for 2 days, because of fighting - to whom is that really a punishment? go figure

So I agree with a system,that charges someone more,based on their income...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts