Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look and functionality of the stock MB audio 10 head unit but I feel fairly sure its not a fault with the unit that even with the tone controls at flat , theres a intolerable pulsating / distortian of the sound even at moderate volume levels.......... I really want to keep the head unit although I realise you can't expect loads from them but would be grateful of any pointers or tips / reccomendations on door speaker upgrading as I should try swapping them out first. Are they easy to change plus removing the door cards
Mike

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay , so no joy with speaker upgrade ideas , but I might have sorted that..
I just need to pluck ip the courage to take the door cards off with them having airbags,,,, has anyone done this or got any tips

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK320
692 Posts
Door panel

Hi Mike,
I did this a couple of weeks ago. I also was a bit wary, although I've done many other cars before I always worry how hard to pull a panel before I realise there's a screw holding it. Well, the R170 is just the same as all other cars and easier than you might think. Jeff has given you the info, but just be aware that you should lower the window first. And I found that prising the cover off the door handle took more force then I expected. There's a levering hole underneath it but I also wedged it from the top and sides too. When prising the outside clips off prise from as close to the clip as you can. The air bag holds no surprises and you can just ignore it (as long as you don't poke it, of course!). If you have a set of plastic wedges for removing panels, that always helps - they're cheap enough.
Tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mike C - it sounds like you may have other issues. The speakers and installation in a UK R170 with standard Audio 10 is pretty good. I suggest borrowing a different head unit from someone, and testing the output from your own head unit first. The head unit drives a small amp under the floor (although I have never investigated myself, I am assured it is there. This could also be at fault.

Removing the dor cards is pretty straight forward. The airbag is fastened to the door not the card. If you do decide to change the speakers, I recommend Focal. I use the Focal 165V30 and the sound is stunning.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike C - it sounds like you may have other issues. The speakers and installation in a UK R170 with standard Audio 10 is pretty good. I suggest borrowing a different head unit from someone, and testing the output from your own head unit first. The head unit drives a small amp under the floor (although I have never investigated myself, I am assured it is there. This could also be at fault.

Removing the dor cards is pretty straight forward. The airbag is fastened to the door not the card. If you do decide to change the speakers, I recommend Focal. I use the Focal 165V30 and the sound is stunning.
mmmm I wonder , I had no idea there was a seperate amp, although I must say the sound quality was pretty impressive for a single din head unit alone.
I am still doubtful that the distortion is a speaker related problem although I have sussed the door card and speaker removal process and have 2 on the way.
The only thing I'm thinking is that the previous owner swapped out the factory cassette player for an equally standard looking MB audio 10 CD player (surely the 2 must have the same characteristics ? )

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thinking about it , I might just try popping the original cassette player back in to test....( previous guy passed it on to me ) where do you get the removal tools? I see they're not the usual 2 prong affairs
Be intrested to know more about this alledged additional amp too !!!!
Mike
EDIT got the removal tools , fitted the original cassette , just to find i have no code for it !! DOH !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.