Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Thresherinc not sure what a shark fin would give you that an antenna wouldn't.
Style!
;)

But seriously a properly amplified Shark Fin antenna will cover off all the bases, AM/FM/DAB/GPS and be superior for all of them over what I have right now.

I'm still hopeful that taking the telephone prep out of the boot will sort the AM/FM issues.

·
*Registered
2010 SLK55 AMG
1,839 Posts
To further that answer, most if not everything, goes over the CAN bus. It's basically a computer network designed and built specifically for cars etc.

For the HU to "understand" that, it needs a connection to this bus. That's where the CAN [bus] adapter comes in. It's a small, half a cigarette package, black box. This interprets the CAN messages to something that the HU can understand.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
120 Posts
To further that answer, most if not everything, goes over the CAN bus. It's basically a computer network designed and built specifically for cars etc.

For the HU to "understand" that, it needs a connection to this bus. That's where the CAN [bus] adapter comes in. It's a small, half a cigarette package, black box. This interprets the CAN messages to something that the HU can understand.
As a newcomer to modern tech, this is the first explanation I’ve read about Canbus that I understood, so thanks for that. 👍🏼

I’m after the same thing as Thresheric, decent sound with roof down. The HU was changed for CarPlay which is brilliant, to my surprise the radio/CD displays in the MFD, hopefully upgrading the speakers will see an improvement.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I’m after the same thing as Thresheric, decent sound with roof down. The HU was changed for CarPlay which is brilliant, to my surprise the radio/CD displays in the MFD, hopefully upgrading the speakers will see an improvement.
What did you do to the HU?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
24 Posts
There’s a device in the fitting kit that connects the steering wheel buttons, the MFD does not function for the audio.
My kit came with the device to enable the steering wheel buttons, and they certainly work, although the phone buttons appear to be some kind of radio "seek" command. I'm going to program the phone kit with SDS, when my dongle arrives, which I believe should solve that particular problem.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350 R171
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My kit came with the device to enable the steering wheel buttons, and they certainly work, although the phone buttons appear to be some kind of radio "seek" command. I'm going to program the phone kit with SDS, when my dongle arrives, which I believe should solve that particular problem.
The HU I have has a settings section to program all the steering wheel buttons, I went up and down volume for the + & - and track seek forward for top phone button, seek backward for bottom phone button.

I'm going to relabel the ones on the new steering wheel when I have it.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
120 Posts
The HU I have has a settings section to program all the steering wheel buttons, I went up and down volume for the + & - and track seek forward for top phone button, seek backward for bottom phone button.

I'm going to relabel the ones on the new steering wheel when I have it.
Is it possible to program the phone buttons to switch between HU inputs, from Radio to CD for example?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
24 Posts
They are programmable via the head unit on mine, I have no CD player and have not tried that.

I’ll have a look tomorrow.
My HU doesn’t include programmable buttons, it's a Pioneer SPH-DA360DAB. The SW buttons for volume, seek/skip work but the phone us still showing up as "function unavailable" in the MFD. I suspect coding the instrument cluster for a phone kit being present will solve that. Let's see!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
24 Posts
Couple of runs with the roof down has me convinced I need to upgrade the speakers in my car.

To be fair to them they do a semi reasonable job but, they are cheapy MB sourced paper cones being driven by an aftermarket head unit with an inbuilt amplifier, but, they have to go.
After a reasonable amount of research (I'm meant to me working, after all), I've gone down the Cheap Charlie route and have decided just to replace the OEMs with...more OEMs! 🤣

Guided by a previous post here, I've opted for the MB main dealer route and have managed to source new ones (MBUK have 10 RH and 9 LH in stock) for £66+VAT each. Should arrive at the dealer on Tuesday for what I hope is a relative easy fit, once I've cleaned the old ones out!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
24 Posts
With the correct kit, which I have thanks to @i860, I would give it a 9/10 on the easy scale (1/10 on the hard scale ;)).

But you will need the SDS kit or someone who has it to help.
OK, @Jetl3on, having now done this I'd like to revise the score to an 8/10 on the easy scale. I have successfully completed the coding but finding where the options were, deep in the bowels of Xentry, was not easy. Thankfully the 'Google Glass' translate app on my phone made it easier to work my way through the multiple German menu options.

If this is all you need doing and you fancy a trip down the M23, I'd be happy to help out.

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
120 Posts
OK, @Jetl3on,

If this is all you need doing and you fancy a trip down the M23, I'd be happy to help out.
Really? i am due a trip to burgess hill, now I have a greater incentive. 😁

On a serious note, you might want to think again, I have so many questions and options I would like enabled, such as how to synchronise the mileage on a FL cluster.

Thanks for the offer.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK350
24 Posts
Really? i am due a trip to burgess hill, now I have a greater incentive. 😁

On a serious note, you might want to think again, I have so many questions and options I would like enabled, such as how to synchronise the mileage on a FL cluster.

Thanks for the offer.
I’m just next door in Haywards Heath, let me know when you’re coming down. Full disclosure, I’m new to this coding lark on MB cars too, so anything you want to do should be sanity-checked with someone who knows what they’re doing first - don’t ask me to hit the “execute” button when your car is plugged in! 🤣

·
*Registered
2004 SLK350
120 Posts
I’m just next door in Haywards Heath, let me know when you’re coming down. Full disclosure, I’m new to this coding lark on MB cars too, so anything you want to do should be sanity-checked with someone who knows what they’re doing first - don’t ask me to hit the “execute” button when your car is plugged in! 🤣
Deal! 😂
As it happens I sent i860 the same question, hoping he gets back to me. Seriously thinking I need to invest in this software. 🤔

21 - 40 of 40 Posts