Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here a ride up on changing the sparkplugs on a 200 kompressor (M271)

First look everything over use a blanked or protective mat like I use to not damage the paint ;-)

Imageshack issue.

Then remove the engine cover, be careful not to break the 4 pins that keep the cover in place. Pull the cover straight up.

If one breaks off glue it back on whit super glue. And let it harden. Also you want to lube the rubber holes where the pins click in.

I had to move some parts to remove the 3th coil pack. So Il show that one the others are the same working way.

you can move the piece in front of my fingers by pushing the release clip and sliding it to the left.

Then lift it a lil and you should have the space to unclip the wire harness from the coil pack.

Then remove the 2 e-torx bolts its a size 8 I think. You can remove the bolts before unclipping the wire harness, what ever works for you. I used a ratched to remove the bolts but only made a pic of me torquing the bolts.
The bolts need to be torqued @ 8Nm or 5,9lbs if I'm right.

To remove the coil packs just pull them out whit a soft twisting gesture.

Ok now we get to the spark plug.
Before doing any thing, check if the area ronde the plug is clean. Blow it out whit compressed air.

Then take a 16mm spar plug socket whit a suited extension to your ratched. Never force it to get it lose or tight. If you damage the tread you'll have to replace the engine head.
gently losen the plug. I always try to losen the plug by hand, I only use the ratched for the first 2 turns.

half way stop and check if the area ronde the plug is clean. Blow it out whit compressed air.

One's you have the spark plug out check it, do a google on spark plug reading.

Put the new plug in the socket and turn them in by hand. If u use a lil anti seizing is up to you. I do (copper grease). If you do be aware not to over torque it.

Once it's hand tight, torque it. 28Nm according to wis (20,65lbs correct me if I'm wrong). I torque it at 25Nm

now you just reverse the steps and your ready.

here is a pic of my working case. just for fun.

Torques in short:
e-torx bolt size 8: 8Nm
spark plug: 28Nm

Let me know if you like me to change things or give more detail.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK200
633 Posts
Here a ride up on changing the sparkplugs on a 200 kompressor (M271)

First look everything over use a blanked or protective mat like I use to not damage the paint ;-)

Then remove the engine cover, be careful not to break the 4 pins that keep the cover in place. Pull the cover straight up.

If one breaks off glue it back on whit super glue. And let it harden. Also you want to lube the rubber holes where the pins click in.

I had to move some parts to remove the 3th coil pack. So Il show that one the others are the same working way.

you can move the piece in front of my fingers by pushing the release clip and sliding it to the left.

Then lift it a lil and you should have the space to unclip the wire harness from the coil pack.

Then remove the 2 e-torx bolts its a size 8 I think. You can remove the bolts before unclipping the wire harness, what ever works for you. I used a ratched to remove the bolts but only made a pic of me torquing the bolts.
The bolts need to be torqued @ 8Nm or 5,9lbs if I'm right.

To remove the coil packs just pull them out whit a soft twisting gesture.

Ok now we get to the spark plug.
Before doing any thing, check if the area ronde the plug is clean. Blow it out whit compressed air.

Then take a 16mm spar plug socket whit a suited extension to your ratched. Never force it to get it lose or tight. If you damage the tread you'll have to replace the engine head.
gently losen the plug. I always try to losen the plug by hand, I only use the ratched for the first 2 turns.

half way stop and check if the area ronde the plug is clean. Blow it out whit compressed air.

One's you have the spark plug out check it, do a google on spark plug reading.

Put the new plug in the socket and turn them in by hand. If u use a lil anti seizing is up to you. I do (copper grease). If you do be aware not to over torque it.

Once it's hand tight, torque it. 28Nm according to wis (20,65lbs correct me if I'm wrong). I torque it at 25Nm

now you just reverse the steps and your ready.

here is a pic of my working case. just for fun.

Torques in short:
e-torx bolt size 8: 8Nm
spark plug: 28Nm

Let me know if you like me to change things or give more detail.

Just what I was looking for. thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
I did what you did changed my spark plugs, but I set the gap to 80 thousands of an inch, and I think it should have been 0.8mm,
I have now found that my slk 171, 184bhp, is down to 25mpg
I am going to reset the gap to 0.8mm tomorrow, the has only done 35k

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.