Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had my 2009 55 AMG serviced by MB and they have recommended a complete set of spark plugs. Just coming up to the 60k mark and am a little surprised.

Is this normal, I did 90k miles in my old SLK and don't recall changing the spark plugs.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,615 Posts
80k per the maintenance manual my friend.

page 49

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Or 5 years, whichever comes first. Did mine last year at 40k, they were not that bad, but wanted to maintain my Tier 1 coverage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hiya Folks,

Just changed my plugs at 61,000 km and after 15 years - not my choice but elected to do it on our recently acquired SLK 55 AMG. I can tell you that there were no seized plugs whatsoever and the original factory plugs installed by Mr Petricca (my wizard of an engine builder) were installed with a light application of what appears to be an anti-galling compound that settled in mid-thread. No problems at all and no evidence of any corrosion on the plug threads. Very little squeaking when loosening the plugs as what I have found with other alloy engines.

I would not advocate a 15-year interval but I was pleasantly surprised at the good condition.

I did, however, assess that there was less than 30% plug life remaining on the electrode...perhaps due to several short journeys as opposed to fewer long runs during the past 15 years.

For what it costs and what the engine is worth, I would stick to 5 year intervals - cheap insurance.

Cheers

Perry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts