Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never owned a car with a "space saver" spare before i thought it best to check it before the summer comes.
I got my car last year and just drove it, never giving the spare a thought.
So i got it out and noticed it was flat (as i say never seen one before) so i thought i would put some air in it........FRIGHTENED THE S**T OUT OF ME
i seriously thought it was going to explode.
But after a word with my local tyre merchant i realised it is always flat and you have to carry a pump (which did not come with my car) so i had to purchase one.......you learn something new every day :biglaugh:

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
The vehicle should come with a tool (yellow plastic) to remove the spring-loaded valve mechanism on the valve stem of the spare tyre so that as much air can be squeezed out as one tries to refold the spare tyre ("collapsible spare tyre").

This tool (if not supplied) is available from the bike tyre shops.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Terminology problem here.

The spare in the SLK is NOT a "space saver spare."

It's a "collapsable spare."

The former don't collapse.

I've BTW concluded that the best bet is to carry the Tirefit kit and attempt to restore inflation in whichever normal tire is flat ... since there's hardly any place to carry the normal tire/wheel once the spare is fitted.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
You guys had me LOL :biglaugh:
But really, there is no need to work hard to get it back in to its tiny space.
Just connect a vacuum pump and watch it fold up all by itself.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Terminology problem here.

The spare in the SLK is NOT a "space saver spare."

It's a "collapsable spare."

The former don't collapse.

I've BTW concluded that the best bet is to carry the Tirefit kit and attempt to restore inflation in whichever normal tire is flat ... since there's hardly any place to carry the normal tire/wheel once the spare is fitted.
:tu:Great tip. I took the "collapsible spares" out of our SLKs thinking it was a waste. I've read personal testimonies from others that it's not a bad system other than the issue of carrying a flat tire. I've since put them back in.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Don't forget about the shorter lug bolts. If the originals are used they will cause expensive problems.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, let me get this straight, i now have to carry,

1. Tire inflator
2. Vacuum pump
3. Valve removal tool
4. Tirefit kit

Just to be on the safe side !!

Mine came with a spacer, which i pressume is instead of short lug bolts ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.