Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I blew out a tire awhile ago, and haven't been able to figure out how to get it packed back in flatly, so the cover lays flat.

If anyone has the time, could they please post a photo of how the tire and tools look when properly packed in the trunk?

It's an embarrassing request, but I need the extra trunk space back and even the garage I go to can't get it right.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
I blew out a tire awhile ago, and haven't been able to figure out how to get it packed back in flatly, so the cover lays flat.

If anyone has the time, could they please post a photo of how the tire and tools look when properly packed in the trunk?

It's an embarrassing request, but I need the extra trunk space back and even the garage I go to can't get it right.

Thanks a lot!
I need to clean out mine anyway, I will go out now. The spare is EXTREMELY tight, I think I read that if you put a thin rag on it, you can slide it in easier. I had mine out and it took a good shove and rocking to get it in.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK55 AMG
415 Posts
Good luck Pepper. When I purchased my car in 2012 the owner had used the spare. He got in back in BUT I have never been able to remove it using any of the methods on this forum. Like some others I have a container of green slime and an electric pump. Hope I never puncture a sidewall. :frown:

·
Registered 2004 SLK200
23 Posts
I've used the spare whilst a puncture was repaired and whilst it's a tight fit (an interference fit definately) it does fit back as shown in the photos without any effort other than some jiggling and downward pressure.
You do have to remove all the air to recollapse the tyre sufficiently for it it to fit in the bay.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
In the bottom right picture above, I removed the two black fasteners (pull or lever out the centres first then pull out the outer part) which gives a bit more room to manoeuvre.
Also, may be a silly point but did you remember to deflate the spare first?

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
There is a small plastic tool that is supplied to allow removal of the air intake valve/valve stem to allow full deflation of spare tire. IIRC the rubber portion kind of "folds" to become a thinner tyre. Moreover, I am not sure if the spare tire is reusable after a certain number of uses.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

Thanks so much for all of the help, especially Pioneer4x4 for the photo.

I did blow out a sidewall on the driver's side rear, and it scared the heck out of me. A CHP had me drive slowly to a safer spot on Hwy 1 and I was hoping that it wasn't going to mess up my rim (it didn't). The CHP officer was helpful in that he took out the spare for me, but I was on the phone with AAA, and didn't see him do it.

The photo is a huge help, thanks again. It'll be great to get my golf bag in there again :smile:

As far as letting the air out, it must've had air in it because I was able to drive ~30 miles to a tire shop. Could the AAA driver have blown it up before he put it on?

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
. . . . .
As far as letting the air out, it must've had air in it because I was able to drive ~30 miles to a tire shop. Could the AAA driver have blown it up before he put it on?
It will have been inflated for you to drive on it, and it definitely won't fit back into the boot/trunk without being completely deflated again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.