Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

Long time no see :) Just a quick question, what is the best/easiest way to get a spare key for my car? Is there a cost-effective way to do this?

I had a spare key but left it in the ignition when disconnecting the battery :( Ever since, it won't turn.

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
100,445 Posts
go to mercedes parts with your registration/proof of ownership
give them about $250 us money

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha - I didn't think it would be cheap. But if that's more/less the easiest way to do it then that's what I will do. Thanks Jeff!

Reactions: jbanks15

·
100,445 Posts
some say check with a locksmith but do you really want to give your key info to someone that might make another set of keys? and give him your address? just saying

·
100,445 Posts
best/easiest way :D

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just talked to a local dealer $501.12 all in. That's in CAD so in USD that would be $380 - ouch. Apparently, they come pre-coded from MB. So they special order the key with your VIN, MB burns the key, and they just verify that it works when the key shows up. I guess you can't just get a 'blank' key and do it with SDconnect?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No-one around here can do it. I looked into buying the gizmo to do it but it's not cost effective unless I want to go into the key business. There's a guy in San Diego that can provide both keys and do the job for about the same as I'd pay here for one key so it looks like that's the route I will be going. Thanks for all the information!

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
636 Posts
No-one around here can do it. I looked into buying the gizmo to do it but it's not cost effective unless I want to go into the key business. There's a guy in San Diego that can provide both keys and do the job for about the same as I'd pay here for one key so it looks like that's the route I will be going. Thanks for all the information!
Hi, can you please post the info/link for the key maker in San Diego. Thank you

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Reactions: etyu

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You're lucky!
I'm on an Island on the left hand side of Canada so I'll have to ship it down to them :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts